Libraries

When I was young I used to enjoy visits to libraries, they were a place of refuge.  Peaceful, quiet, a nice atmosphere, the smell of books.  And I enjoyed reading.

Now Dizzy face .it's all changed.

My local library ( as have most of the libraries in the city)      has been refurbished and renamed a community hub.

Now there are few books, .lots of computers, uniformed security guards, meeting rooms, help and advice experts on council services, jobs & benefits.  And finally the local post office has closed down and moved into this library itself.

On one side of the room there is a bookcase and next to it a queue of people using the post office.

I miss the old traditional libraries. With wooden bookshelves, books, a librarian and cardboard library tickets in books with dated stamps.

Parents
  • A post office in a library. What a bizarre idea.

Although I like reading, I've always found libraries quite overwhelming places. Too much choice maybe? I'm also not very good at finding things. Even in a really logical system I can't find what I'm looking for.

I also don't like really quiet places. Although busy and loud is too much for me. I find silence really unsettling. I like background noise. The only place I read is in my bed.

It is a shame though, for those that did enjoy visiting the library that they have changed so much.

• That's interesting, Binary.  As much as I love books, I find bookshops intimidating.  It's like being confronted with the mountain range of my ignorance!

Have you ever read 'If On A Winter's Night, A Traveler' by Italo Calvino?  The first chapter always rings true for me!    About all the books there are to read... if only there were enough years in life to do it!  You can download it free on PDF by Googling it.

• That's interesting, Binary.  As much as I love books, I find bookshops intimidating.  It's like being confronted with the mountain range of my ignorance!

Have you ever read 'If On A Winter's Night, A Traveler' by Italo Calvino?  The first chapter always rings true for me!    About all the books there are to read... if only there were enough years in life to do it!  You can download it free on PDF by Googling it.

Children