A Martian in the Closet

I thought a good way to get some focus back in my life would be to start a blog.  I've posted the first bit today, if anyone's interested.  Just stuff from my life as a late-diagnosed Aspie.  The first post is actually something I'd written a while back, when I thought about writing a book.  That fell by the wayside.  I feel a blog is a more manageable idea.

Tom

A Martian in the Closet

PS Harry Chadwick is a pseudonym - not my real name!

Parents
  • Brilliant, Tom! Both that you've found something to bring some focus to your life, and the writing. You capture very well the way that the misconceptions about autism don't just affect the way other people can see us; they prevent us from gaining the insight needed to understand ourselves. There are two other autistic people in my circle of friends, both diagnosed in middle-age like me. Until I announced my diagnosis, we'd in no way have picked each other out as having any particular similarities compared to the non-autistic people in the group. It was a big surprise to learn that I wasn't the only one. Interestingly, they had both worked in social support careers, and like you, neither had made the connection with autistic service users.

I had just the same experience as you with multiple interventions for depression. They made me feel even more alien and misunderstood; how could someone who's job it is to understand brains, not be able to comprehend mine?!

You write very engagingly, and there is only so much that any of us can say in the short form and interactive format of forums like this. I'm looking forward to reading more - consider yourself bookmarked! Smiley

• Brilliant, Tom! Both that you've found something to bring some focus to your life, and the writing. You capture very well the way that the misconceptions about autism don't just affect the way other people can see us; they prevent us from gaining the insight needed to understand ourselves. There are two other autistic people in my circle of friends, both diagnosed in middle-age like me. Until I announced my diagnosis, we'd in no way have picked each other out as having any particular similarities compared to the non-autistic people in the group. It was a big surprise to learn that I wasn't the only one. Interestingly, they had both worked in social support careers, and like you, neither had made the connection with autistic service users.

I had just the same experience as you with multiple interventions for depression. They made me feel even more alien and misunderstood; how could someone who's job it is to understand brains, not be able to comprehend mine?!

You write very engagingly, and there is only so much that any of us can say in the short form and interactive format of forums like this. I'm looking forward to reading more - consider yourself bookmarked! Smiley

Children
No Data