Aspies in Conversation...

Here's a little idea I wanted to run by you all.  It's not really original (I think someone suggested something similar before), but I thought I'd see what you all think.

I'm a big fan of 'in conversation' type books.  A couple of my favourites are Christopher Bigsby's Writers in Conversation series, in which he interviews famous writers about their work and how they go about it, the 'mysteries' of the creative process, general stuff about their lives and so on; and Studs Terkel's best-selling Working, in which he had conversations with a variety of people about their jobs: mailmen, accountants, lawyers, barkeeps, garbage collectors, salesmen, actors, bus drivers, etc.  In each book, the 'interviews' are pretty informal - as if they were conducted in a bar over a couple of drinks.  Terkel's, in particular, was - and still is - hugely popular because of the insights offered into the lives of, predominantly, very 'ordinary' people as they share their anecdotes, adventures and aspirations concerning 'the daily grind.'

So I thought it might be good to have a book of Aspies in Conversation:  a series of informal interviews with Aspies about life, work, struggles, triumphs, etc.  A mix of people, too, with a wide variety of experiences.  Particular areas of focus could include work (if any), education, family relationships, friendships, support, therapies tried.  When did they first realise they were 'different'?  When did they get their diagnosis and what effect has it had on them?  How does their autism affect them in various ways, and how do they live with it?  What difficulties have they encountered - and what successes have they had (using the term 'success' as broadly as possible).

I've seen similar kinds of books, in which various people have contributed snippets of information under a variety of headings (Relationships, for example).  But I thought it would be better to have a discrete 'chapter' for each person and, whilst focusing on the areas mentioned, allow the 'conversation' to develop organically, too.  Not too rigid or formal, in other words.  People could use pseudonyms or their real names, as preferred.  So each 'conversation' would start with a brief introduction about the person: age, work status, and so on... and then go from there, with questions individually tailored to the circumstances being discussed.

I'm not sure how many conversations would be needed to get a broad idea of how differently people are affected, and the shape their lives have taken.  20, maybe?  More?  Fewer?  Terkel's interviews varied from two or three pages to over a dozen, depending on what people wanted to say.  There are probably enough people on these forums to cover it.  A medium like Skype could be used (without video).  Or private messages.

The object would, I'd like to think, be two-fold: to give insights, and hopefully better understanding, to interested neurotypicals (particularly families, friends and employers); and to give a sense of recognition, reassurance and camaraderie to fellows Aspies.

Perhaps, if it came to fruition, someone like Chris Packham could be persuaded to write a Foreword!  And maybe any proceeds could go to the NAS.

What are your thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

Just throwing this out there....

PS  Could this also include self-diagnosed Aspies?  I don't see why not.  What do others think?

Parents
  • What questions would you ask? There are a bunch of questions in your post but they are not very specific and would send me off into details and way too many examples to answer the question(s). 

I'm asking because I am 44 and only been diagnosed for a month and could give you so many different answers.

Just wondering. I do like the idea by the way.

• They can be quite specific.  'When did you first start to realise that you were 'different'? for instance -- which is perhaps a good question to start with.   With the best of the Studs Terkel interviews, people started off by talking about their jobs and bringing in details which would then prompt questions - which is what I meant by letting the conversations grow organically, at the same time as ensuring that the important points are covered. Education, jobs, relationships, issues with each.  I think a good interviewer - someone like Terkel - doesn't really have a list of stock questions.  They get the ball rolling, then see which way it rolls (kicking it back into line a bit if it seems to be veering off) - and they instinctively know the points at which bring in the questions, and which questions to ask.  That's why I envisage it more as a conversation, not an interview. 

• I'm afraid I'd veer off left and right and jump from one thing to the other. Even with counsellors I end up havind unstructured conversations with loose ends all over the place.

I need to read Terkel's interviews. Seem very interesting.

So... are you going to write these interviews?

• That's where editing comes in for the final product! 

Working is a fascinating book - though a little dated now.  Worth getting hold of a cheap, used copy...

Working

I'm just seeing what kind of interest there might be in a project like this.  It would be good to get input from others to see what they think.

• That's where editing comes in for the final product! 

Working is a fascinating book - though a little dated now.  Worth getting hold of a cheap, used copy...

Working

I'm just seeing what kind of interest there might be in a project like this.  It would be good to get input from others to see what they think.

Children
No Data