Childrens television programmes of the past

Being born in the fifties, and having my formative years in the sixties and seventies, I believe some of the best television programmes were those made for children. I am a great fan of programmes made for children, and even now think there is some quality work there.But some of the programmes of rhe past excelled in real quality.

For starting this thread I will include one or two of my favourites from the sixties to the eighties.

I will come back to this later with others, I think my avatar would indicate one of my favourites so that goes without saying, for the moment.

The Owl service, a programme made in the late sixties, a mystery about a tea service and the remote.locarion it was set in.

Follyfoot, with its theme tune about a farm for retired horses, the characer of Dora every lad in my year fell in love with

Children of the Stones, a very creepy tale set in Avebury, with similarities to the Wicker Man

The Witches and the Grinnygog, a tale of a gargoyle with a seemingly strange power.

Worzel Gummidge, with Jon Pertwee and Una Stubbs at their best.

Others to come, but opening up to reminiscences from other people.

Parents
  • I loved some of the gentle cheaply made cartoons such as Mr Benn.  And Mary, Mungo & Midge.

I still remember Follyfoot. And being shown the filming locations in the 1970s by a fan of the series.

• Additionally.

I suspect, Mary, Mungo & Midge was made by pebble mill in Birmingham. Because many years later when I was living in Birmingham.  The actual tower blocks reminded me immediately of the cartoon tower blocks in that series.

And the Follyfoot filming locations we visited, we were on a day out from the special needs school I attended in the early 70s.  A staff member was a big Follyfoot fan and he was pointing out the actual red phone box being used by one of the stars in a previous week's episode.

• Those simple animations and stop-frame puppet films were all the fashion back then - the Captain Pugwash, Ivor the Engine, Wombles and Chigley/Trumpton/Camberwick Green were all awesome. Such a nice, gentle childhood.

• I’m obsessed with Dr Who I love the show old and new.Totally obsessed with the audios which are made by Big Finsh Productions,they are awesom.I get criticised for liking such things because I would rather listen than watch.

• Do you know that the people of Dubai never watch The Flintstones.
    But the people of Abu Dhabi do!

Didn't the Muppets also do a tour of the Middle East? In Bahrain, they went to Manama, to do a tour, to Manama to do do...

• At a very early age I hated Hanna Barbera cartoons - the recycled animations, rolling backgrounds and lazy scripts really grated on me. I love the original Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry cartoons - before they lost their way and went cheap. 

I love modern animations like Toy Story 2 and Shrek 2 - but most have never heard of Igor and Over The Hedge,

• At a very early age I hated Hanna Barbera cartoons - the recycled animations, rolling backgrounds and lazy scripts really grated on me. I love the original Chuck Jones Tom & Jerry cartoons - before they lost their way and went cheap. 

I love modern animations like Toy Story 2 and Shrek 2 - but most have never heard of Igor and Over The Hedge,

Children
No Data