Random thoughts from home

These are not all original t o me but here goes ....

In the supermarket they sell bottles of liquid labelled "Still water".  At what stage will it cease to still be water.

And talking of water, one brand says it has percolated and been filtered  through rock for thousands oof years before being bottled. Good job they bottled it when they did as its best before date is only in a months time.

What does an occasional table become when it is not a table.

Who did the first person who bought a telephone want to ring?

Where did the first person who bought a car buy petrol from? Or who  did the first filling station sell petrol to?

How many people died eating poisonous mushrooms and berries before they knew which ones were ok to eat?

There are many more, so what are other contributors favourites?

Parents
  • 'Contains nuts' on peanut butter.

• To Mister Tom ...As you may know, this is for Legal Reasons. They also put "Contains Nuts" on bags of Nuts. Sometimes there will be a "Contains Fish" on packets of Fish.  (My only moan would be that, upon signs pointing to London that they do not add: "Contains Pollution."...)

Apart from that - This is to TrainSpotter as well: Finally someone began a Thread like this! It should last long, but I upon this spot cannot recall such things, which I also often notice, for I notice them mostly while in "Street Mode" rather than at "home"...

Lastly, the T.V. Channel "Dave" lists a lot of things like this, which - of course right now - I cannot recall. (No WWW site about them, either.)...

E.G. - "Why do you never hear about any 'single whammies' ?"

• Yeah, I know why they do it.  It still seems funny, though.  I mean, the name is pretty self-explanatory: peanut butter.  Like putting on a bottle of mineral water 'contains water'.

• In a sense, he is very much an "Aspie character". The cartoonist has said that Mr. Logic was inspired by his own brother, who was later diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. I've never found out quite how the brother feels about this!

When I first discovered the Viz comic in my youth, I found the Mr. Logic very funny, but I was well aware that I was laughing at myself as much as the character!

• Haha!  Mr Logic needs to be in the 'Aspie characters' thread!

• Actually I'm confused by the warning for a different reason. Peanuts aren't technically nuts; a nut allergy doesn't mean you're allergic to peanuts, and a peanut allergy doesn't mean you're allergic to 'tree nuts'; they're separate conditions. So did the peanut butter also contain cashew or Brazil nut or something? (Also, it doesn't even contain whole peanuts usually - in many brands, much of the valuable peanut oil is removed and replaced with palm oil.)

From the FSA link:

Where the name of the food (such as a box of eggs or bag of peanuts) clearly refers to the allergenic ingredients concerned, there is no need for a separate declaration of the allergenic food

Here's an autistic caricature to explain it (badly):

• Actually I'm confused by the warning for a different reason. Peanuts aren't technically nuts; a nut allergy doesn't mean you're allergic to peanuts, and a peanut allergy doesn't mean you're allergic to 'tree nuts'; they're separate conditions. So did the peanut butter also contain cashew or Brazil nut or something? (Also, it doesn't even contain whole peanuts usually - in many brands, much of the valuable peanut oil is removed and replaced with palm oil.)

From the FSA link:

Where the name of the food (such as a box of eggs or bag of peanuts) clearly refers to the allergenic ingredients concerned, there is no need for a separate declaration of the allergenic food

Here's an autistic caricature to explain it (badly):

Children