Work

I've been in my latest care work job for almost a year now.  I think I've almost had enough.

For most of that time, the place hasn't had a manager.  Two of the most senior staff have been working it between them.  We got someone in, who was there for almost 6 months - a brilliant person, who was really turning the place around at last.  But... the brass decided she wasn't what they wanted, and they let her go before her probationary period was up.  I was floored, as were a few other colleagues.  Since then, the place has gone from bad to worse.  One of the acting managers is okay, but she's too young and inexperienced for the role - plus she's the head of the work 'clique', so the place often feels like her social club: lots of chit-chatting, slacking, blind eyes being turned to people messing on their phones.  The other acting manager is lazy.  He likes nothing better than to sit and talk about sport all day.  Naturally, this all sets a bad example for new staff, many of whom fit in with that scene.  The sense of a 'team' isn't really there.  A small handful of us do the brunt of work.  Mandatory stuff, like paperwork and cleaning, is routinely left. 

Yesterday, one of the good guys left.  He started just after I did and had a real zeal for the job and doing it right.  He had good ideas and often put in extra effort.  He was ground down by the regime, though, and has got another job.  I don't think I'll be far behind him.  I'm finding it increasingly harder going in and seeing things not being done properly, being ignored, being left for someone else.  Like this afternoon.  I had a very challenging client all afternoon, so was on his case the whole time.  Other staff had clients who went earlier, so had plenty of time to do things like cleaning.  It got left, because chatting was more important.  The ladies toilet got blocked at one point, but the person responsible for sorting it out ignored it - then went home early.  Stuff like this happens all the time.  I can't let it go over my head.  In my supervision, I brought all this stuff up.  The managers agreed with me and said it would be addressed.  It hasn't been, really.

I can't work in a place like it.  It keeps me awake at night.  I've come home now - 11 days into sobriety - and just want to get out of my head.  But I won't.  I'm not going to let it get to me like that this time.

I may just go sick tomorrow.  Then get signed off.  Then use the time to look for something else. 

I hear people say 'Just think about the people you're helping and do it for them.'  I do.  But I'm reaching my own limits of tolerance.  Pretty soon I'm going to lose the plot entirely.  It's better if I'm not in the situation to trigger that, because it won't be nice.  And then I'll just be in trouble.

Parents
  • Hi Tom

I recall that you were going through similar thoughts when the good manager left, and it showed how bad things were.  At that point I got the impression that there was some possibility of finding allies and making it clear to the 'brass' how things needed to change. Then I think you had an episode of depression? Does that perhaps indicate there's no chance of the place improving? Is there any chance of your ex-colleague writing a detailed resignation letter?

I think your plan of taking time off to look for something else is good.

I think I may be the person with lowest morale where I'm working, and it's not really to do with the workplace, more me. I've usually put heart and soul into it, but not for many months now. So I'm a bit like some of your lazy colleagues.

As Song says, sometimes it's right to do what's right for you first. It's like on an aeroplane having to put your own oxygen mask on before thinking of helping anyone else.

• Hi Tom

I recall that you were going through similar thoughts when the good manager left, and it showed how bad things were.  At that point I got the impression that there was some possibility of finding allies and making it clear to the 'brass' how things needed to change. Then I think you had an episode of depression? Does that perhaps indicate there's no chance of the place improving? Is there any chance of your ex-colleague writing a detailed resignation letter?

I think your plan of taking time off to look for something else is good.

I think I may be the person with lowest morale where I'm working, and it's not really to do with the workplace, more me. I've usually put heart and soul into it, but not for many months now. So I'm a bit like some of your lazy colleagues.

As Song says, sometimes it's right to do what's right for you first. It's like on an aeroplane having to put your own oxygen mask on before thinking of helping anyone else.

Children
No Data