Unable to edit

I can post new threads and comments, but for some reason I'm now unable to edit any of my threads and comments. When I click the appropriate 'More' button, the 'edit' selection is no longer showing.  Anyone else having a problem?

Parents
  • Thanks for the feedback, which is very helpful. I have substantially increased the limit, in the light of your comments.

I agree that the limit is not a deterrent to starting "copybot" threads, because the offender is unaware of it. However, it should be an obstacle to the apparent second stage, of returning and replacing the original post with content that may be advertising, offensive or malicious. As before, we'll see how feedback goes, but my feeling is that this should be part of the picture of defeating the spam by first removing it quickly, and second ensuring that, even if it slips through, posting it was a waste of time anyway.

Even for genuine posters, there is a case to be made that, once a thread is developing, returning and changing a message is not fair to those who have responded. If I change or moderate my views, those who have made the case for a different viewpoint are left with very odd-looking, out of context replies that don't fit the point that I am now making. Thus, once others have responded, anything more than minor typos may best be corrected by responding with a new message.

Let's see how it goes, anyway.

• This is me, now. One of the first to be "hated" a lot, but also one to never  edit/delete Posts, yet still am also one of those who gets all peculiar after spotting a spelling mistake...!

If it is alright, Mr. Webster, please tell us what the time limit is, now. An Hour, Two, or what... Thanks? (Or has anyone else found out...)

• This is me, now.

Hello.

One of the first to be "hated" a lot

Not here, I'm sure.

all peculiar after spotting a spelling mistake

Likewise I do, but life now seems to too short to be a perfectionist.

what the time limit is

I think it's a week.

Suggestion to moderators: if editing posts created more than a week ago is restricted so it's not possible for bots or users to edit them, then a moderator may want every week to check the main index of threads going back a fortnight to see if the head posts have been replaced with spam, or otherwise look spammy in retrospect (default username with no replies and so on).

• Glad tidings to DC.

I saw WebPM's Post about the 30 Minute delay, but did not see anything about it now being extended to one week. Where is that, and given that the change was instigated only 5 days ago, how is this for certain...? (WebPM only says it has been "increased"...)

Actually he said (pretty sure he's a he and you say Mr):

substantially increased

which is NT code for a week.

I jest. I guessed. I test -ed my guess to make sure... if you look at your own activity tab your comments are arranged by date. I could find one 6 days old and it had an 'Edit' option; one that was 8 days old didn't. It could be 10 000 minutes or 9 999, but probably near enough a week.

There's no reason in not discussing this as far as I can see - even if Copybot could understand this discussion, which it can't, or its creators looked at the threads, which they won't, it would give them no advantage in spamming and it could carry out the same tests itself.

...My record of 3-5 hates has long since been broken, for this was around last October, y'know, before you joined, a long time ago, when this was all fields...(!)      ;-)

Ah, you mean down-votes? No I had't seen that. I wonder which post currently holds the record, but there's no way of sorting comments like that. There is often an option for looking at 'worst rated' comments on news websites, and I sometimes use it in case someone has written a considered or informed opinion that runs against the grain of most participants.

Maybe I get a little bit miffed just because my comments end up with a little '0'. Perhaps people should leave little anonymous reviews, like 'Not funny, missed the point, obvious and/or incomprehensible, dry and rambling. Cassandro didn't know what he was going to say at the end of this post when he started, has no thought for his readers, and I wasted my time reading this.'

• Glad Tidings to Cassandro. A couple of things, as this Thread is still "popping up"...

I think it's a week.

I saw WebPM's Post about the 30 Minute delay, but did not see anything about it now being extended to one week. Where is that, and given that the change was instigated only 5 days ago, how is this for certain...? (WebPM only says it has been "increased"...)

A last silly thing, not to worry about:

Not here, I'm sure.

...My record of 3-5 hates has long since been broken, for this was around last October, y'know, before you joined, a long time ago, when this was all fields...(!)      ;-)

• Glad Tidings to Cassandro. A couple of things, as this Thread is still "popping up"...

I think it's a week.

A last silly thing, not to worry about:

Not here, I'm sure.

Children
  • Glad tidings to DC.

Actually he said (pretty sure he's a he and you say Mr):

substantially increased

which is NT code for a week.

I jest. I guessed. I test -ed my guess to make sure... if you look at your own activity tab your comments are arranged by date. I could find one 6 days old and it had an 'Edit' option; one that was 8 days old didn't. It could be 10 000 minutes or 9 999, but probably near enough a week.

There's no reason in not discussing this as far as I can see - even if Copybot could understand this discussion, which it can't, or its creators looked at the threads, which they won't, it would give them no advantage in spamming and it could carry out the same tests itself.

Ah, you mean down-votes? No I had't seen that. I wonder which post currently holds the record, but there's no way of sorting comments like that. There is often an option for looking at 'worst rated' comments on news websites, and I sometimes use it in case someone has written a considered or informed opinion that runs against the grain of most participants.

Maybe I get a little bit miffed just because my comments end up with a little '0'. Perhaps people should leave little anonymous reviews, like 'Not funny, missed the point, obvious and/or incomprehensible, dry and rambling. Cassandro didn't know what he was going to say at the end of this post when he started, has no thought for his readers, and I wasted my time reading this.'