Unable to edit

I can post new threads and comments, but for some reason I'm now unable to edit any of my threads and comments. When I click the appropriate 'More' button, the 'edit' selection is no longer showing.  Anyone else having a problem?

Parents
  • Thanks for the feedback, which is very helpful. I have substantially increased the limit, in the light of your comments.

I agree that the limit is not a deterrent to starting "copybot" threads, because the offender is unaware of it. However, it should be an obstacle to the apparent second stage, of returning and replacing the original post with content that may be advertising, offensive or malicious. As before, we'll see how feedback goes, but my feeling is that this should be part of the picture of defeating the spam by first removing it quickly, and second ensuring that, even if it slips through, posting it was a waste of time anyway.

Even for genuine posters, there is a case to be made that, once a thread is developing, returning and changing a message is not fair to those who have responded. If I change or moderate my views, those who have made the case for a different viewpoint are left with very odd-looking, out of context replies that don't fit the point that I am now making. Thus, once others have responded, anything more than minor typos may best be corrected by responding with a new message.

Let's see how it goes, anyway.

• If I change or moderate my views, those who have made the case for a different viewpoint are left with very odd-looking, out of context replies that don't fit the point that I am now making. Thus, once others have responded, anything more than minor typos may best be corrected by responding with a new message.

Some people may wish to reword a post with a reply because, for example, their message is unclear or too strongly worded. Whilst the former could be remedied with a further post, a user may not wish the latter to remain on the forum.

We have to trust that people make such edits for the right reasons.

• There are many times when I’ve been a complete **** and only realise this months later and would like to therefore remove or edit the post as who wants to be putting bad stuff out there and who wants to read it?!? ~ nobody, I think! And the spelling and grammar thing is real! Even a comma in the wrong place can drive me nuts and I don’t think we should play down these types of stresses ~ we have enough stresses so why put up with the ones we can do something about, i.e. having the ability to edit our posts, which can also be a form of happiness and contentment ~ when I correct what I’ve written, I can experience a nice feeling of calm etc. and would prefer not to be denied that good feeling. As they say, every little bit helps Blush

• There are many times when I’ve been a complete **** and only realise this months later and would like to therefore remove or edit the post as who wants to be putting bad stuff out there and who wants to read it?!? ~ nobody, I think! And the spelling and grammar thing is real! Even a comma in the wrong place can drive me nuts and I don’t think we should play down these types of stresses ~ we have enough stresses so why put up with the ones we can do something about, i.e. having the ability to edit our posts, which can also be a form of happiness and contentment ~ when I correct what I’ve written, I can experience a nice feeling of calm etc. and would prefer not to be denied that good feeling. As they say, every little bit helps Blush

Children
No Data