Went on course,. Autism was mentioned

As part of my new job as a support worker, caring for adults with challenging behaviour.   I am being sent on several one day training courses.

This week I was on a safeguarding course.  Dealing with keeping vulnerable adults safe from abuse, neglect, exploitation etc.

Halfway through we were asked what we knew about autism.  I kept my mouth shut.  But a couple said that they had experience with Autistic people. And explained that autistics like to stick to routines.  One gave an example of an autistic who walked along the same route everyday for 16 years.  The class had a giggle.  

That's how we autistics are seen by the NTs.

Parents
  • In my current job, I had to do a three-day course of training in techniques to deal with challenging behaviour.  The trainers knew me, knew I was autistic, and were themselves on our trust's autism behavioural team.  In one exercise, we were told to pair up with someone else, then stand face-to-face with them, very close, and maintain eye contact for 2 minutes.  I refused and explained why.  They hadn't thought about that.  So it was suggested that I stare at the top of my partner's head instead.  Thankfully I'm tall and she wasn't.  All the same, it was a very uncomfortable exercise.  Afterwards, they apologised.  I have a few struggles at work with being expected to do things or react in certain ways - based on the NT template.  This is part of the problem with being high-functioning, and 'normal-looking'.  They look at the people I'm working with and can see no connection or similarities.  They ought to know better, but sadly they often don't.

• In my current job, I had to do a three-day course of training in techniques to deal with challenging behaviour.  The trainers knew me, knew I was autistic, and were themselves on our trust's autism behavioural team.  In one exercise, we were told to pair up with someone else, then stand face-to-face with them, very close, and maintain eye contact for 2 minutes.  I refused and explained why.  They hadn't thought about that.  So it was suggested that I stare at the top of my partner's head instead.  Thankfully I'm tall and she wasn't.  All the same, it was a very uncomfortable exercise.  Afterwards, they apologised.  I have a few struggles at work with being expected to do things or react in certain ways - based on the NT template.  This is part of the problem with being high-functioning, and 'normal-looking'.  They look at the people I'm working with and can see no connection or similarities.  They ought to know better, but sadly they often don't.

Children
  • Hi, thanks for sharing this it is highly appreciated. Wow, despite knowing you was autistic they still put you in a situation like that? Even if the alternative, looking at the top of the person's head it still doesn't rectify putting you in that situation. At least they were compassionate and ultimately apologised.

Autism or those with 'high-functioning' appear to others as you say 'normal-looking'. Also, autism in a way is invisible in terms of how you present yourself.