Campaigning

Hello my name is Shola, I am 20 years old and I was thinking about doing some campaigns for a lot of nightclubs to do events for people with learning disabilities who are over the age of 18 in Birmingham just like other places/parts in the UK are already doing now in which is very good and also I would like for more services and organisations to be available and cater for people or young adults aged from 18-30 or from aged 18-35 and also the older adults including the elderly too. I need some advice and help on how to start some campaigns like these and be a success in them?

Parents
  • Hi Sholay09, good to hear from you. I often think about you and wonder how you are with that beautiful mind of yours. 

I think this is a great idea and you’ll be pleased to know that there is a ton of support and money out there to help with this sort of thing. 

In order to be successful in any endeavour, we have to have a sound plan and we have to be working, in harmony, for a shared purpose, with at least one other person and we have to work the plan, one baby step after another. 

You can approach your local council and ask to speak to somebody who can help you with this. You can also contact the NAS helpline as a starting point and they may be able to sign post you to somebody more specific.

This is a really great idea with huge benefits for so many people and when we have a worthy cause and a good idea, when we get the right support and with determination and persistence, it will be successful. You already possess within you what it takes to make this work and now all you need is somebody to work with you. 

I’ve done some research into this myself and my first support worker (a well being officer from the local social services team) has told me that the money and support is ready when I am if I want to go ahead with my ideas. So I know the support is there. 

I would say that contacting NAS might be a good place to start. You have got so much to give and it will be a great outlet for you to express yourself in a receptive atmosphere. Your type of mindset is not often warmly received by the public at large which can make getting started difficult and for some people impossible. The key is in getting support. Getting somebody onside who shares your vision. 

Commit to paper what you would like to achieve and this will give you some ideas of how you might like to achieve it. Then get talking. You could also make contact with people who are already doing what you want to do and ask them how you get started. Most people in that situation will be more than happy to help, it is often the very thing they like to do best. 

Don’t give in, despite the obstacles you will face. This is a truly great idea and I think it will be the making of you. We grow in confidence when we’re doing the things we love to do and what we believe in so don’t think you have to have all the confidence and know how from the beginning, this will grow and develop over time. I guess, if one door closes, you find another and another ‘until’; until you find the help you are looking for. It took me 51 years to find the help I was seeking but I never gave in and eventually, I got it. It won’t take you as long because you know what you want, I didn’t have a clue, I just knew I didn’t want to feel so lonely, isolated, scared and unable to do the things that I saw the people around me doing, I didn’t have a clue that I was autistic. You’ve got a great start and I can already see your success, even if you can’t, just yet. 

• I'd agree with BlueRay says. At this stage you probably want to think what you want to achieve exactly, then look around for resources that might help, and also 'allies' - people in the same situation, or agree with what you want to do.

Good luck.

• I'd agree with BlueRay says. At this stage you probably want to think what you want to achieve exactly, then look around for resources that might help, and also 'allies' - people in the same situation, or agree with what you want to do.

Good luck.

Children
No Data