New friend

I was bored and not happy here

Parents
  • Hi Rachael, I would love to be your online friend.

Could you please tell us a bit more about yourself, your hobbies, interests, a bit about your childhood likes, dislikes, how you found out about this site, are you Autistic? ( Diagnosed or self diagnosed?).  Interesting stories about your experiences.

Is English your first language? ( I started learning English when I was five)  If not how did you learn it? ( I slowly picked it up from other kids at school).

Hope to hear from you soon.

• I didn't realise English wasn't your first language. That must have made starting school even more confusing! Do you enjoy being bilingual?

• My parents are Polish,  my father arrived in 1942 as a wartime refugee.  My mother came over in 1957.   I regard myself as a born and bred Yorkshireman.   I started school without speaking or understanding a single word of English.  Combined with autism and selective mutism.  My school life was absolute hell.

Being bilingual does help at times, especially when I'm with others like me.  But knowing the social norms of which language to speak in a given situation is complicated.  And we get accused of being rude and ignorant.

• Hello Calfifornia, how are you ? 

• Gosh, with that choice of words it was probably for the better that you didn't understand English that well...

• Wow that is very harsh on a young child! How were you supposed to manage the lessons whilst learning a language at the same time?! They really had ridiculous expectations. A little empathy would have gone a long way!

Reply Children
No Data