I hate funerals

Is it just me and my specific bad personal experiences of funerals.  Or do people dislike funerals in general ?

For me the whole experience leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

From being invited,. By people I haven't met in years.  The two faced comments by neighbors, the social interaction at the funeral and the list goes on and on.

I will write specific details after breakfast.

Parents
  • I don’t hate funerals per se, I just don’t particularly like large gatherings but even that’s not true, because I’ve been to some really large gatherings and loved them and I’ve also been to some funerals and loved them, the ones they have in Bali are the best I’ve seen so far but the ones in India are interesting too when they set the bodies on fire on a raft on the river.

I like funerals for the way they bring people together that haven’t seen each other for years and I prefer them to weddings. At weddings people are often all about the outfits and food etc whereas at funerals people are less bothered about those things and are happy to simply reconnect with people they haven’t seen for years, share stories about the loved one that’s passed and generally just enjoy the bringing together of friends and family to honour the dead persons life and give thanks for what they brought into our life. I feel like it’s an opportunity to say a special thank you to the person who died for being in your life and to just spend some time thinking about them and reliving and enjoying the memories and it brings me comfort to see others there who are also showing their love, gratitude and respect for the person. It’s not the only way to say goodbye and thank you, some of us find different ways but I do kind of like the way a funeral brings everyone together to share memories and stories together and to support (if they want it) the people who were maybe the husband or wife of child or whoever. It’s a nice feeling to know we all made the effort to honour the persons life but of course that doesn’t make a person heartless if they don’t feel comfortable doing it that way.

• The only funeral I've been to when I didn't feel 'bad' was an ex neighbor who I haven't seen for 40 years.  I went with my sister who had kept in touch with that family.  And people at the reception had good experiences to share about her.

What I dislike is small petty and unpleasant gossip.

• The only funeral I've been to when I didn't feel 'bad' was an ex neighbor who I haven't seen for 40 years.  I went with my sister who had kept in touch with that family.  And people at the reception had good experiences to share about her.

What I dislike is small petty and unpleasant gossip.

Children
  • Yeah, I’m not into gossip either, and I’ve finally learned how to deal with it ~ by ignoring it. My son tried to teach me this for years but I just couldn’t do it, I had to get involved in sticking up for the gossiped about person but now I ignore it and it’s much better because as far as I’m concerned, it no longer exists, not in my world anyway and people never come to me to gossip so it’s not like I have to ignore someone to their face. All the funerals I’ve been to have been a good experience. I’ve enjoyed sharing stories etc and just being there to honour the person and they’ve all been enjoyable, much better (for me) than weddings. Now there’s an occasion I’m not really into, I’m not big on weddings.