Doing only what you love

A few years ago, I said to my mentor, that I loved doing whatever I was doing. He said, that’s interesting, I only do what I love. 

I had no idea what he was talking about at the time but I felt that he had said something profound, so I allowed this thought to sink in and once I realised what it meant, I also made the decision to do only what I love. 

It was one of the best decisions I ever made because now, I do only what I love. 

How many other people only do what they love and what is their reason for not doing what they love, if that’s the case.

It has created an interesting and exciting journey for me because prior to this, I didn’t really know what I loved doing, I’m still exploring that and it’s been fascinating to see how I’ve lived many years without a clue about what I loved doing. Now I love exploring and finding out what I love to do. 

Parents
  • Parents always expecting me to fit in with them and relatives. Which involved going on holidays with constant bickering family, partying on traditional occasions, getting drunk, being bombarded with non-productive political rants, then waking up with bad hangovers the morning after. I shunned everything for solo motorcycling and cameras.

• Parents always expecting me to fit in with them and relatives. Which involved going on holidays with constant bickering family, partying on traditional occasions, getting drunk, being bombarded with non-productive political rants, then waking up with bad hangovers the morning after. I shunned everything for solo motorcycling and cameras.

Children
  • That's great Nada. Seeing horses gives me great joy. A house I lived in, in the Lake District, used to get horses going past, I used to delight in the sounds their hooves made and then seeing the fine beast would increase my joy even more.

My upbringing was similar to yours, my family all thought I was weird for not drinking alcohol and joining in with all their 'fun'. I also love cycling, although when in England it is pedal cycling that I do but I love it and yes, I meet with some rather interesting sights on occasion. When I'm in Bali or India I ride a motorcycle. I'm just starting to get a bit interested in the camera although I don't think it's going to be my thing. I always feel I'm missing out on something when I take a photo, as if the camera is depriving me of the moment but I have found a little fondness for looking back over photos, occasionally, and I would like to use my own photos on my web site etc. 

Keep up the good work and please share any interesting photos that you take while you're out and about.