PROBLEMS WITH THIS (NAS) FORUM - February 2018

I accept that this may be a "Bad" Topic, yet it needs to be highlighted, surely where "NAS" can *not* avoid seeing it, surely...

Current Problems with this Forum:
- Posts Disappear and Reappear at Random.
- Notifications are not always received (apparently).
- Editing Posts - *after* they have been replied to.
- Things such as "Groups" or "BlogPosts" or "Questions"... seem to have no meaning, and so they cannot be applied...?
(Anyone reading, you may currently check your own "Profile" to confirm this. Click upon your own "Achievements", and then upon "List of Possible Achievements".)
- ... There is a great list of "Achievements". Again, many of these have no defined meaning and so are un-achievable. (Linked to "Questions", "BlogPosts", "Ideas", "Status"...?)
- Assigning "Tags" to a New Thread seems to change constantly, and has neither Logical Order nor Meaning.

Here is the "Main" Thread, at which Comments directly to NAS are supposed to be Posted... yet much of it is completely ignored by NAS; It is only responded to by "WebPM", but for whom NAS would not have this "Forum" in the first place, I would wager...
community.autism.org.uk/.../online-community---comments-improvements-and-feedback

• I don't think this is exactly what you're asking for, and I imagine that you know this already. However, for the benefit of anyone else who may find it helpful, in your profile area you can see your Questions (the threads in which you have participated). There is a drop-down giving various alternative views.

Your contact details can be reviewed using My Account (on our WWW site as opposed to this Community site). That doesn't give a way to download, but it does allow you to review everything.

Regards

• ...I also re-posted a lot of LINKS upon the newer Thread. They were posted here, yet scattered and older and harder to find. Again -Why I began the newer Thread. Anyone who recently Posted here may please re-post upon the newer Threads, is what I say. (Closing this FYI-Post now.)

• ...Sorry to bother you, Mr WebPM, but I am replying upon this sub-Thread within this 4-month old Thread, so as not to lose the position concerning recent replies...

This old Thread has been revived, but I wanted to draw attention (again) to its successor. Because this here Thread is so fer-lipping LONG now...

community.autism.org.uk/.../strange-random-errors-upon-this-forum

...Also there is a sort of counter, if anyone wants to post good Tips, Hints, Compliments, or whatever (as well as in the Main NAS Feedback Thread):

community.autism.org.uk/.../things-that-are-good-to-be-done-when-upon-this-nas-forum-thanks

...To "Graham", With regards to Disappearing replies, I know that MrWebPM says that it is still being worked upon. The new Thread is not long enough for that yet. To find missing replies, access any Thread via the Title, not via the reply. The Disappearing Replies thing is a reason why I started the next new Thread after this one. If Mr. WebPM replies to that newer Thread, then I guess everyone will start to reply there...? Thanks.

• It's just plainly that the forum is free, it isn't riddled with adverts. 
    For that, I will make do with the niggles of the forum. 
    No more, no less.

• Ah, was it a compliment to the NAS web team?

While this thread is active as general feedback on the forums, can I throw in a feature request for the forum software? They're probably already thinking of it because of GDPR Article 15.

Could we have some easy way to download all the text we've written (and any other personal info), the way social media sites provide? I'd just want it so I can search it (and check for anything too incriminating...).

• No I haven't. You may have missed the point of my response.

• I cannot access my messages on my iPhone se.  Any ideas?

• Another problem, regarding the:

• To "mention" someone, type @ followed by the start of the forum name, and choose from the list; that person will get a notification of being mentioned

The problem with this is that the names on the list have not for me involved the name typed.

And DC, I hope also the weather holds more favourably more often for the functioning of your devices, and for your input here and elsewhere on this forum.

Have a good one ~ filled with infinitely more

• Hi DC so nice to see you here.

not sure wether I should post anything about issues with this forum as WebPM said we should start a new thread specifically to suit the issue or go to one of the many links added, some started seven years ago and not useful as things are now different, 

so,,,,,,,,just what can I say, problems with this NAS forum! 

There are still a few long running issues, no recent replies or updates from anyone from the NAS regarding anything, 

Take care and I hope your devices continue to work even in warm weather, we only get two weeks of real summer here anyway!,,,,,,,,, or just post at night when things cool off a bit. 

Take care DC, x()x

• Greetings to any who know about this Thread.

Due to approaching hot weather, I may have to leave for a long while... (Yes, I know that some persons will be glad to hear of that (!), yet I did serve a useful purpose and there is proof of that (here) and so I need not care about such opinions.)...

Thank You to all who contributed here, despite some doubts or hostility or etc. etc... 

I am not gone yet, if anyone is wondering (!). I am Posting here mostly to (again) say that I might leave, and so I am attempting to tie up a lot of (my own) "loose ends" upon this Forum. This Thread is one of them...

...But also mostly...

WEBPM Sir! Please Post an update as to how things are going, please? Replies do still disappear! ...And as I said, I myself do not know about the Notifications/PM business! Recall Mr.LoneWarrior's 12-Point-List before this here Post. Thank You for your time, as always!

Thank You Again for this Forum.

• Greerings to all. This is just a Post to bring this Thread back up a little. 

Due to the Easter Holidays, it was dropped off, since NAS also "Holidays", somewhat. Please Post as the Title asks. Search a little, in order to see what was Posted here before, especially WebPM's own answers.

News to date: The Disappearing Pictures problem has been addressed. Missing Posts/Messages is apparently still being investigated. Missing Notifications and Alerts are also still being investigated. 

Finally Please note: I am not NAS, and cannot recall everything... Yet WebPM also watches/watched this Thread, and so Please Post any new or reoccurring problems here. There are links to other Threads as well, here.

• To Mr LoneWarrior...

I keep Thanking you, and that still applies. I shall add now, that I stayed succinct the past couple of days, because you were handling this Thread and WebPM better than I could - you recalled all of those things, which I would have to write down or something, and it is as if posting the same thingS over and over and over is the only way to get one thing done.

WebPM is alright, NAS is still... well, NAS... and now it is the weekend, and so WebPM might not Post again until Monday, again. (With regards to the vote-up, I suspect a certain latest poster, there...)

...I do not know what else to say - just now, again. This Thread is waaay long, yet it had to become this long to expose certain troubles...

Thank You Kindly, Mr LoneWarrior, for all of that.

• WARNING! Long tired rambling post.apologies,

Hi DC,,,,it is all getting very confusing, 

We are both trying to help by pointing out issues within this valuable resource, this I strongly feel would benefit not only the users but the forum as a whole. May apparently left when the new software package was first introduced, we don’t embrace sudden change,no it may have been necessary but the sudden change inevitably drove some away, instability ranks high innmy life, I like stability with everything, 

Sorry to hear you cannot get the vote up to work, issue number 13 maybe?

anyway, I apologised to WebPM on several occasions as I feel he has a very difficult task ahead of him, I am sure my frustration isn’t helpful.

I listed only the issues I have heard about whilst I have been here, some no longer exhist as issues, some still remain, some are only specific to certain members and the devices they use.

What I tried to convey was that the issues exhisted or still do. Not everyone will start a new post to highlight such things, they are members not administrators, they come here for help or guidance, some just to give support,

As WebPM decided to move non relevant replies about other issues and post links to find them it seemed a reasonable request for him or somebody to harvest the comments on each subject and place them accordingly with a link from a general thread,

He cannot monitor every thread, that is unreasonable, but they were mostly appearing here under the thread banner of “ Problems with this NAS forum”.

Seemed reasonable to post comments about any problems, there was such a thread started by NAS , it grew fast, it was long, it took avgreatvdealnif time to go through the embedded replies, often only to find a three word comment to an earlier reply, 

I am not sure I am helping him any?

I am not gifted in posting links, I cannot copy and paste when typing replies such as this. I copy before starting a reply, so one copy and paste, 

enough now I am very tired and ramble on much.

Sorry WebPM. I will try not to keep adding ever growing comments about issues, 

DC I will continue to support you if I can, You have worked hard to try and give support, as I say sorting out issues will benefit all in the long scheme of things.

Take care.

x()x

• I wanted to "like" your reply, but it at the moment no longer votes up. Yet due to all of this, I have edited and made something (!) of that other Thread as WebPM suggests an appreciation of it. The new link to it is this:

http://community.autism.org.uk/f/miscellaneous-and-chat/12022/disappearing-messages-posts-2018-edit

(...This Post with its Link stays put, now.)

• To Nas35494 - Please read the entire Thread, here. You may have missed the point of it.

• The forum is free and not full of adverts.  I can grin and bear the niggles for that.

• That is a considerable list. One or two issues were new to me. I'm actually trying to steer a middle course on this. I don't necessarily believe that I should start a thread for each topic above; I'd like to spend time on the most important ones (which means the ones that seem to cause most problems to most people here).

However, anyone who is having real problems with any such issue is welcome to start a thread about it. Starting a separate thread will mean more chance that I see the issue (it's hard to spot new issues in a long thread on any forum, irrespective of how it works). It will also increase the chances of anyone else who is affected seeing the thread and joining in - both to provide more evidence and to benefit from any solutions that you or I may post.

At the moment, we're about to go back to looking at modifications to help with finding new postings in longer threads (after diverting to look at the image issues). Brief comments on your points, therefore - again, a new thread would be easier for any that need attention now or soon:

1) Using the quote function and it not working: This wasn't high on my awareness. It may be sensitive to connection issues, or temporary glitches. I have not seen it happen a lot. I would suggest trying again if this is just happening occasionally.

2) missing images: Please post about this in the separate thread. My understanding is that we aren't getting the same number of problems with this, since the update we deployed earlier this week. There may be some confusion caused by images sometimes uploading slowly, which is not the same issue as them disappearing after successful posting (see also 9 below).

3) apparent missing replies within long threads: I believe this to reflect difficulties in locating the messages in the thread, but that they are there. As above, this is where I propose to concentrate our efforts next.

4) Sudden loss of typed content within an old reply( edited and removed losing any context of original discussion): There may be an issue with editing complex messages, where this takes significant time (i.e. minutes): I've just had a problem like that, so I'm writing this in a text editor, and will paste it in when ready

5) logging out very often as time out settings need looking into: as already noted, this relates to our single sign-on system. We do have plans for that, but not in the short term, sorry.

6) typed replies sometimes vanishing if sudden logging out occurs! I think this is similar to 4.

7) no email alerts: I commented on that previously. We fixed an issue where the alerting system broke. I believe that we are now sending alerts properly, but email delivery involves various players. I think that things are happening outside our control, and that affected users here should contact their email providers.

8) little red light staying on in the new post notification.even when all notifications have been read? This seems to be limited to one or two people. I have offered, with permission, to force in a temporary password for an affected user, so that I can see and investigate the problem, but I would need to take over the account in that way to make progress with this.

9) not able to post pictures within threads: I have noted that uploads can be slow, especially if images are larger, or of course if you have connection issues. I have found that I sometimes need to wait for an image to appear. I would recommend waiting up to 20 seconds, although this should only be necessary occasionally.

10) not able to post any images within the PM area,( now at last fixed thank you).

11) why is the reply box so small when using a smart phone and some laptops, only one line of text visible and scrolling to read any replies within PM area near impossible. I don't think I was aware of this before. I get two or three lines on my phone, which, given the lack of screen space and the need to have the characters large enough to be legible, is probably a reasonable balance. A screen shot and a statement of which phone or computer was used (preferably in a new thread) would be helpful. It can be difficult to make a system work well on every screen type.

12) why when using the search function it comes up with many seemingly unrelated topics: Again, I wasn't aware of this. Could you give some examples? (Again, preferably in a search thread.)

However, I'm really going to struggle to keep up with 12 issues all at once, so could we identify the most important?

Thanks

• Thank You again, Mr.LoneWarrior... a very Excellent and comprehensive Post, there. I can only Post my support, and my preferring a Reply as equally comprehensive... again.

• Thank you WebPM please accept my apologies, I did assume the government part funded the charity, Seems I was wrong?  I also alluded that the young were the primary concern, so wrong again. I did state quite clearly I could have got it wrong, and it is good that you have given the correct facts, thank you.

One point I would like to raise is why did the moderators or administrators not start threads like this one, “an over view” maybe stating that there are several current problems within this forum and if you wish to respond to a specific problem there are variouse  topic threads already running covering specific issues, maybe do a search? If it’s working!

There was such a thread started by admin and it very quickly got very long, lots of different issues, random chatter,off topic quite often, it out grew its usefulness.

It needed a new one, no action was taken to introduce a separate thread, frustration had to highlight the current issues, 

Topics such as...

1)Using the quote function and it not working,

2)missing images,

3)apparent missing replies within long threads,

4)Sudden loss of typed content within an old reply( edited and removed losing any context of original discussion).

5)logging out very often as time out settings need looking into,

6)typed replies sometimes vanishing if sudden logging out occurs!

7)no email alerts,

8)little red light staying on in the new post notification.even when all notifications have been read?

9)not able to post pictures within threads,

10)not able to post any images within the PM area,( now at last fixed thank you).

11)why is the reply box so small when using a smart phone and some laptops, only one line of text visible and scrolling to read any replies within PM area near impossible.

12)why when using the search function it comes up with many seemingly unrelated topics,

Well just one or two issues to be getting on with!

Thats twelve individual threads to search for, maybe if an overview thread like this one written by NAS and stating if you have any issues then please click on one of the links provided below. Lock the thread! Then when a new issue arises on the site post a new link to it ?

You have added links to pertinent threads already, just needs a new thread with a new explanatory header, and links to each relevant  currently running issue.

thank you for all the work you do, I really do understand about resources, and truly grateful for this forum which has allowed me to learn about myself and my past and current issues in life. It really does change lives, the people on here are so giving and as most regular adult users are autistic it really can give huge insight into living as someone with autism. It helps the parents of the young autistic child, we are all amazing people,

x()x