Is Aspergers the next evolutionary step for humans?

• Here is a thought:

”What if we are not odd, but Aspergers is the next step in evolution for humans?”

We are no less loving or empathetic than other humans.  As someone once said, we perhaps feel too much. 

So perhaps we evolutionary firsts!

Parents
  • I read your post on apes with Autism and all I could find was an article about Teco.  A bonobo who exhibited some of the behaviours associated with autism.   

The only other article was about modifying monkeys and giving them autism.  I don’t like that idea myself. 

Here is a thought though.  It has taken me, age 37, to ask for an assessment on ASD. But no health professional has suggested it.  Should then we be screened at childhood I.e as a toddler and at school for it?

That way we can get the support we need.  I am a aware of chronic underfunding in this area and possible misdiagnosis. 

• I read your post on apes with Autism and all I could find was an article about Teco.  A bonobo who exhibited some of the behaviours associated with autism.   

The only other article was about modifying monkeys and giving them autism.  I don’t like that idea myself. 

Here is a thought though.  It has taken me, age 37, to ask for an assessment on ASD. But no health professional has suggested it.  Should then we be screened at childhood I.e as a toddler and at school for it?

That way we can get the support we need.  I am a aware of chronic underfunding in this area and possible misdiagnosis. 

Children
  • There are lots of articles and research papers about genetic markers for ASD, including many suggesting that these markers are older than our split from other great apes, but I'm not aware of any research showing evidence of any other apes showing signs / symptoms of ASD. 

(I'd be wary of any studies claiming to have 'given' ASD to apes because this genetic evidence is incomplete and we don't yet have the 'recipe' which would, anyway, require growing entirely new neural networks whilst deleting others. It might be possible to 'breed for' it using apes (or us?) but I don't think we're there yet with either the knowledge or the technology.)   

One, less scholarly, article is: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mom-am-i-disabled/20173/why-does-autism-still-exist which raises a few interesting points.

Obviously humans have selected for intelligence and logic, innovative and outside-the-box thinking, and many other features of Asperger's but none of these things would have been of much use without our ability to interact socially as a species - it's the communication of these ideas that enables the survival and progress of the species as a whole. Selection for the types of intelligence that Asperger's enables is clearly a benefit overall but, like much in genetics / evolution, it's a messy business and the 'recipe' doesn't include measurements / quantities. A dash too much logic and you get less of the ability to communicate it perhaps? 

I think the more we learn about genetic diversity the more tolerant society will become.