Asperges and Dating

What are your experiences with dating and do you find it difficult to maintain a relationship? I find communication hard sometimes and can come across cold.

Parents
  • I think it's fair to say i struggle with all aspects of dating and relationships! Looking back at my previous experiences it makes a lot more sense now i know more about Asperger's. I've not dated anyone since i self-diagnosed and i haven't really thought about doing so due to all the bad experiences i've had.

But Evan makes an interesting point there about when to mention it. It's a tricky one. Ideally i think i would mention it straight away because i tend to make a poor first impression, but then maybe that would make the other person uncomfortable. I don't know.

• I think it's fair to say i struggle with all aspects of dating and relationships! Looking back at my previous experiences it makes a lot more sense now i know more about Asperger's. I've not dated anyone since i self-diagnosed and i haven't really thought about doing so due to all the bad experiences i've had.

But Evan makes an interesting point there about when to mention it. It's a tricky one. Ideally i think i would mention it straight away because i tend to make a poor first impression, but then maybe that would make the other person uncomfortable. I don't know.

Children
  • I've not dated anyone since i self-diagnosed and i haven't really thought about doing so due to all the bad experiences i've had.

An interesting point.... I have gone through a series of failed and some nasty relationships...and am considering throwing in the towel in terms of any future relationships. Was this to protect yourself, or others? Or just emotionally worn out and bruised by it all? You don’t have to answer that...it can remain rhetorical... 

i need the company of others, I am enjoying my time so far here as I am able to express myself...but don’t think I’m good enough to be someone’s partner... too many flaws and Aspie traits.  I’m just trying to work my own self out at the moment.

• I also think that I make poor first impression.

I am extremely anxious when meeting the person.

I think I could only be with someone who understands autistic people and would be happy to be with an autistic person.