An aphantasia poll

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34039054   I'm interested to see  what % of us have this.

Parents
  • I can visualise in a way, but not in others, I'm able to construct things, plans visualisations etc in my head, but I can't do faces, people, animals etc. I could create the plans to build say a bench or shed in my head and make it from those plans, but I couldn't visualise a face to even give a rough proportionality of mouth, nose, eyes etc people I see regularly all my life (family), or even someone I've just seen.

Having just done the test I score 20/40, however on the first half which is on people I score 0/20 and on the second half on the sun rising over the horizion I score 20/20 so very different depending on the subject matter.

• I can visualise in a way, but not in others, I'm able to construct things, plans visualisations etc in my head, but I can't do faces, people, animals etc. I could create the plans to build say a bench or shed in my head and make it from those plans, but I couldn't visualise a face to even give a rough proportionality of mouth, nose, eyes etc people I see regularly all my life (family), or even someone I've just seen.

Having just done the test I score 20/40, however on the first half which is on people I score 0/20 and on the second half on the sun rising over the horizion I score 20/20 so very different depending on the subject matter.

Children
  • I'll add, having read others comments I've realised I'm not really constructing the sunrise/rainbow scene in the same was as most people, I'm effectively building a plan and design of sunrise in my head. It's not a relaxing, self expression of nature, it's a plan, a design of the sun rising over the horizon, a graphically stylised rainbow (I'm also colourblind, so rainbows probably don't look right to me either). I've never been able to do the "imagine yourself relaxing on the beach" thing either, I can create a beach, but I'm not feeling a beach, I'm just technically laying out sand, sea, palm trees etc.