GPs

Went to doctor last week, complaining of backache.

I bought with me all the ointments I was using and the two types of painkilling tablets I had. ( Ibuprofen and codeine Phosphate).  I was hoping he would give me something stronger.  

Instead he advised me to stop taking the codeine because it was too strong 

Parents
  • The other thing with codeine is that it can lead to constipation.

Is it something you get often?  Have you tried osteopathy?  I've had a back condition for many years, which seemed to have been aggravated by doing karate - a great way to keep fit, but very punishing.  I had a scan which revealed facet syndrome in three of my lumbar vertebrae: wear and tear problems from a combination of age and many years of road-running.  Since I stopped running and switched to cycling, it's improved no end. 

Often these things are lifestyle-linked: heavy lifting, exercise regimes, bad posture (sitting and standing), bad mattresses, etc.

Any idea what might have caused it?  It could be worth having a scan.  I'd sooner make adjustments (if possible) than take pain-killers.  A friend of mine has a chronic back condition and has been on Tramodol for years.  It works - but it's very damaging long-term.  When mum had back-ache towards the end of her life and had to come off of codeine because of the constipation risk, she found Paracetamol to be the best remedy.

• Thanks for the advice about the codeine.

I suspect bad posture is the problem.

My back is ok in the mornings.  It starts hurting later in the afternoon into the evening.

• Just to say I have chronic back pain, long term,

i do manual work as a living.

good days and bad days, some days total inability to even stand, 

I take prescription  codiene,naproxen and omeprazole . Codiene allows my body to produce morphine, natural pain relief, a trigger if you like.

I could take eight a day in four separate doses of codiene, I take just two,one in the morning one last thing at night.

it can become addictive in that my body can lessen it’s effect over time, weakens it, so I take as few as possible, knowing if I feel pain I can then take extra,

I would prefer to never take any, but it allows me a life style,

Tom is so right about constipation,when on high doses the last thing I want to be doing is straining with a severe bad back.

The naproxen is an anti inflammatory prescription, it helps but I could take ibuprofen, I take just two a day, that’s all I am allowed.

The omeprazole settles the stomach, the naproxen tablets cause stomach pain, the omeprazole reduces acid in the gut,  that in itself has an effect on me, it reduces the amount of food broken down and absorbed by my body, so weight loss.

I have never been heavier than 10s 4lb. I am now a consistent 9s 4lb.

I am wirey and fit,toned, I do no exercise as manual work every day is sufficient, outside every day, walking,carrying,twisting,bending,pushing. A true workout, I am also always on the go, fully focused and forging ahead, Recently self diagnosed ADHD, due to non stop abilities, go go go,I could work through breaks, even working on without clock watching until it is complete.

just read toms last comment, I to suffer when driving, tried everything, half an hour journey is agony, my car has every adjustment you could wish for,even heated, but still never comfy.

take care and eat to help reduce the constipation,choose foods that help.

()

• You can get fabulous orthopaedic cushions to go in your car. They're not 'cheap' but can prove priceless if you get the right one. 

Reply Children
No Data