GPs

Went to doctor last week, complaining of backache.

I bought with me all the ointments I was using and the two types of painkilling tablets I had. ( Ibuprofen and codeine Phosphate).  I was hoping he would give me something stronger.  

Instead he advised me to stop taking the codeine because it was too strong 

Parents
  • The other thing with codeine is that it can lead to constipation.

Is it something you get often?  Have you tried osteopathy?  I've had a back condition for many years, which seemed to have been aggravated by doing karate - a great way to keep fit, but very punishing.  I had a scan which revealed facet syndrome in three of my lumbar vertebrae: wear and tear problems from a combination of age and many years of road-running.  Since I stopped running and switched to cycling, it's improved no end. 

Often these things are lifestyle-linked: heavy lifting, exercise regimes, bad posture (sitting and standing), bad mattresses, etc.

Any idea what might have caused it?  It could be worth having a scan.  I'd sooner make adjustments (if possible) than take pain-killers.  A friend of mine has a chronic back condition and has been on Tramodol for years.  It works - but it's very damaging long-term.  When mum had back-ache towards the end of her life and had to come off of codeine because of the constipation risk, she found Paracetamol to be the best remedy.

• The other thing with codeine is that it can lead to constipation.

Is it something you get often?  Have you tried osteopathy?  I've had a back condition for many years, which seemed to have been aggravated by doing karate - a great way to keep fit, but very punishing.  I had a scan which revealed facet syndrome in three of my lumbar vertebrae: wear and tear problems from a combination of age and many years of road-running.  Since I stopped running and switched to cycling, it's improved no end. 

Often these things are lifestyle-linked: heavy lifting, exercise regimes, bad posture (sitting and standing), bad mattresses, etc.

Any idea what might have caused it?  It could be worth having a scan.  I'd sooner make adjustments (if possible) than take pain-killers.  A friend of mine has a chronic back condition and has been on Tramodol for years.  It works - but it's very damaging long-term.  When mum had back-ache towards the end of her life and had to come off of codeine because of the constipation risk, she found Paracetamol to be the best remedy.

Children