Watching tv when growing up and autism

There is some contentious stuff out there about high levels of tv watching increasing the chances of a child becoming autistic. What if however children with autism/autism traits are more likely anyway to watch tv. I don't know if that is true, I'm just throwing it out there for debate.
Possibly more time stuck in front of the box would mean less time engaged in imaginative play.
I was a toddler in the late 50s/early 60s and apparently watched a lot of television. Nowadays a toddler watching lots of tv or videos would not be that unusual, but I'm not sure it was the case back in the late 50s/early 60s .

Parents
  • I'm not sure if any serious (British) research has taken place into watching TV and ASD. What is notable is the gradual fragmentation of TV watching of children since the early 1990s and how in the past 10 or so years an increasing percentage of the younger generation has turned its back on broadcast TV for YouTube.

There is a discussion on another forum about people who don't watch social type TV programmes.

www.asd-forum.org.uk/.../index.php

• I'm not sure if any serious (British) research has taken place into watching TV and ASD. What is notable is the gradual fragmentation of TV watching of children since the early 1990s and how in the past 10 or so years an increasing percentage of the younger generation has turned its back on broadcast TV for YouTube.

There is a discussion on another forum about people who don't watch social type TV programmes.

www.asd-forum.org.uk/.../index.php

Children
No Data