What are your favourite films?

Parents
  • I only really watch old black and white movies and there’s loads of them on YouTube. I don’t have a television so I watch them on my phone or laptop. I’ve been having a feast of them over the last couple of weeks. I hardly ever know who anybody is (they all look the same, to me ;)) and I can never guess what their facial expressions etc are saying, but I love them. They always tell such wonderful stories, they’re not too long, the plot lines aren’t complicated, they always have a happy ending and they always show real caring and compassionate natures. They always teach you something about love and kindness, honesty and integrity. And the social rules are much easier to follow back then. The films that are pre code are interesting. They had more strong female characters. 

• Me too, BlueRay.  Haven't had a TV since 2003.  I've found a channel where I can watch re-runs of old TV series from the '70s and '80s.  I've myself been having a feast of The Sweeney and Minder just recently - all filmed in the London streets I grew up in, and in a London long gone now... Worried

• That sounds fab Tom, I love programmes from that era which showed the streets etc as they were then. I love walking around streets and looking at old buildings etc and imagining what the people were like who walked the streets years before me. 

• I travelled around the States and Canada a few years ago.  Loved it.  If you enjoy reading, you might like 'Blue Highways', by William Least-Heat Moon.  In the mid-80s, following his divorce, he left his university teaching post and travelled around the US in a rickety old Ford van that he'd converted by installing a camp bed and a bucket for a loo!  He travelled only on the 'blue routes' on the map - the minor roads.  It's a fascinating insight into small-town life in the US, but is also about one thinking man's personal journey towards some kind of inner peace and acceptance.  I must read it again sometime.

• I travelled around the States and Canada a few years ago.  Loved it.  If you enjoy reading, you might like 'Blue Highways', by William Least-Heat Moon.  In the mid-80s, following his divorce, he left his university teaching post and travelled around the US in a rickety old Ford van that he'd converted by installing a camp bed and a bucket for a loo!  He travelled only on the 'blue routes' on the map - the minor roads.  It's a fascinating insight into small-town life in the US, but is also about one thinking man's personal journey towards some kind of inner peace and acceptance.  I must read it again sometime.

Children
No Data