Introduce mandatory training in autism for all NHS mental health services.

petition.parliament.uk/.../207658

Please sign and pass on to people you know.

Parents
  • Signed when firemonkey linked to it elsewhere.  One thing I would like to add, is that I think such training needs to involve people who are actually on the spectrum.  My worry is that, if this does happen, the training will be the usual presentations by "experts" who are not actually autistic themselves.  Paradoxically, this could just end up reinforcing a lot of existing misconceptions by simply trotting out the classic "triad of impairments" theories which have very little to say about our actual lived experiences of dealing with NHS services.  A classic example would be to single out problems with eye-contact and body language, which many of us can simulate to some extent when we're passing - it could even make it seem like using the telephone would be a good way to communicate with us, when in fact, it often is not at all!

• it could even make it seem like using the telephone would be a good way to communicate with us, when in fact, it often is not at all!

A point I made in 2012 during a local consultation about mental health services. Of course, my point was ignored.

Reply Children
No Data