The Autistic Christian

Let me say from the start that I have a strong faith and although I’m willing to discuss it, I have not started this thread to try and evangelise anyone. Simply I’d like to discuss with other autistic Christians how they cope with church, other Christians and trying to resolve their head around everything.

Parents
  • My experience of church has been weddings and funerals. 

The seating is awful, uncomfortable long rigid benches, no personal space, trapped. 

No clock, no timeline of events, no knowing when you will be back to your personal space. 

• Hi, Our church has comfy seating and is always warm, well hot this last Sunday.  We all take our coats off as we sit down.  As for the clock, I can turn around and see it.  But the timeline thing, is you've got to get used to what is happening.  Each week we follow the same routine, but it isn't written down anywhere.  That would be a good thing for our church to do, to make it more autistic friendly.  We have individual seats, though these are joined at their feet.  We always unhook two of them for us at the end of a row, so I'm not enclosed.

We have underfloor heating.  It keeps your coffee warm during the service (I don't think that's the reason though).  It keeps your feet warm, well all of your body.  I like to sit in the church for coffee afterwards and before (but they don't always like this), as it gives me space and getting away from the crush of people queuing for drinks.

But I do like our service.  (Just not the long sermon), though extra long ones are gone now, as they do these on Monday evenings and call them lectures on a series of something.

Happy Christmas to one and all, and sorry for my ramblings,

Margaret

• Magaret

Its interesting that you say about coffee before and after as I am well renowned for making a mug of tea just before the service and drinking it at the sound desk. However, I have to be discrete as if like old could kill at times.

The Church I am a member of has individual seats and underfloor heating too, although due to a leak the heating is rather temperamental at the moment despite only being 4 years old. There is a clock on the side wall, which is easily seen depending where one sits. I do think though that long sermons should be replaced by more ear friendly short bursts of good teaching. Paul’s letters, which are in effect sermons, could each read in ten minutes so why do modern pastors prattle on. Surely teaching and discussion would be far more useful then 45mins. What would you suggest to make your own church more friendly other than a stated timeline?

Andrew

• Correction! Rather than as I stated above:

In Hebrew ~ the word 'Elohim' describes the infinite marriage train or procession of the Goddess of God, yet 'Elohim' is normally miss-transliterated as 'Lord' in the old testament.

When in fact “Elohim” (‫אֱלֹהִים‬ with Hebrew being read from right to left) is normally transliterated into English as the word God, even though Elohim is itself a plural or group definition, as defines the Goddess as being the consort of God, and the divine assembly or council of gods, goddesses, angels and spirits that She embodies in and as the heavens and earth.

And from another perspective:

If one allows the Bible to interpret itself, it clearly shows that Elohim is an institution consisting of more than one Person. The Old Testament shows that Elohim consists of two divine Beings. The New Testament adds that we are being drawn into that same institution to be one with Those who are already there.

It is true that Elohim is also used in many places to indicate a singular divine Being. This is because Elohim always acts as one. They are in perfect harmony, in perfect agreement.

John W. Ritenbaugh

https://www.bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Topical.show/RTD/cgg/ID/430/Elohim.htm

So in terms of “The Old Testament shows that Elohim consists of two divine Beings” at very least, Genesis 1:1 can be transliterated as:

In the beginning God and Goddess created the heavens and the earth.

And Genesis 1:27:

So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of the Goddess he created them; male and female he created them.

And the link to the BBC2 documentary called 'The Bible's Hidden Secrets', episode two, 'Did God Have A Wife' is no longer operable, but here is another link to a written article covering the matter:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42154769/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/did-god-have-wife-scholar-says-he-did/

• Very interesting Deepthought. I could sit and talk to you for hours about this.

Well, there was a documentary series on BBC 2 some time back (2011 perhaps) called 'The Bible's Hidden Secrets', and episode two, 'Did God Have A Wife' ~ which covered the above topic brilliantly from the archaeological and the scriptural standpoints. So maybe if you have the tech and the credit ~ you could sit and watch for an hour about this; via the following link:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ik5oi

• Very interesting Deepthought. I could sit and talk to you for hours about this.

Well, there was a documentary series on BBC 2 some time back (2011 perhaps) called 'The Bible's Hidden Secrets', and episode two, 'Did God Have A Wife' ~ which covered the above topic brilliantly from the archaeological and the scriptural standpoints. So maybe if you have the tech and the credit ~ you could sit and watch for an hour about this; via the following link:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ik5oi

Children

• Correction! Rather than as I stated above:

In Hebrew ~ the word 'Elohim' describes the infinite marriage train or procession of the Goddess of God, yet 'Elohim' is normally miss-transliterated as 'Lord' in the old testament.

When in fact “Elohim” (‫אֱלֹהִים‬ with Hebrew being read from right to left) is normally transliterated into English as the word God, even though Elohim is itself a plural or group definition, as defines the Goddess as being the consort of God, and the divine assembly or council of gods, goddesses, angels and spirits that She embodies in and as the heavens and earth.

And from another perspective:

If one allows the Bible to interpret itself, it clearly shows that Elohim is an institution consisting of more than one Person. The Old Testament shows that Elohim consists of two divine Beings. The New Testament adds that we are being drawn into that same institution to be one with Those who are already there.

It is true that Elohim is also used in many places to indicate a singular divine Being. This is because Elohim always acts as one. They are in perfect harmony, in perfect agreement.

John W. Ritenbaugh

https://www.bibletools.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Topical.show/RTD/cgg/ID/430/Elohim.htm

So in terms of “The Old Testament shows that Elohim consists of two divine Beings” at very least, Genesis 1:1 can be transliterated as:

In the beginning God and Goddess created the heavens and the earth.

And Genesis 1:27:

So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of the Goddess he created them; male and female he created them.

And the link to the BBC2 documentary called 'The Bible's Hidden Secrets', episode two, 'Did God Have A Wife' is no longer operable, but here is another link to a written article covering the matter:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42154769/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/did-god-have-wife-scholar-says-he-did/