The Autistic Christian

Let me say from the start that I have a strong faith and although I’m willing to discuss it, I have not started this thread to try and evangelise anyone. Simply I’d like to discuss with other autistic Christians how they cope with church, other Christians and trying to resolve their head around everything.

Parents
  • My experience of church has been weddings and funerals. 

The seating is awful, uncomfortable long rigid benches, no personal space, trapped. 

No clock, no timeline of events, no knowing when you will be back to your personal space. 

• My experience of church has been weddings and funerals. 

The seating is awful, uncomfortable long rigid benches, no personal space, trapped. 

No clock, no timeline of events, no knowing when you will be back to your personal space. 

Children
  • One thing that I did notice, especially for my Mum’s funeral in 2009 and my Dad’s funeral in 2018 is that Irish Catholic funerals in my home parish in Rural Ireland (I’ve been living in Manchester since 2002 and came home to Ireland from the U.K. for both funerals) is that they are very well attended to the point of overcrowding and people come from miles around - one relative even came from America to attend, so imagine that happening after Covid though 

• Hi, Our church has comfy seating and is always warm, well hot this last Sunday.  We all take our coats off as we sit down.  As for the clock, I can turn around and see it.  But the timeline thing, is you've got to get used to what is happening.  Each week we follow the same routine, but it isn't written down anywhere.  That would be a good thing for our church to do, to make it more autistic friendly.  We have individual seats, though these are joined at their feet.  We always unhook two of them for us at the end of a row, so I'm not enclosed.

We have underfloor heating.  It keeps your coffee warm during the service (I don't think that's the reason though).  It keeps your feet warm, well all of your body.  I like to sit in the church for coffee afterwards and before (but they don't always like this), as it gives me space and getting away from the crush of people queuing for drinks.

But I do like our service.  (Just not the long sermon), though extra long ones are gone now, as they do these on Monday evenings and call them lectures on a series of something.

Happy Christmas to one and all, and sorry for my ramblings,

Margaret