The Autistic Christian

Let me say from the start that I have a strong faith and although I’m willing to discuss it, I have not started this thread to try and evangelise anyone. Simply I’d like to discuss with other autistic Christians how they cope with church, other Christians and trying to resolve their head around everything.

Parents
  • There are two verses in the bible that always make me laugh when I think about what it means to be a Christian on the spectrum. They are:

John 17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. (Because of the whole 'other planet' feeling, this one could have been written for Aspies)!

1 Corinthians 9:22 I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some. (This reminds me of how we mirror other people to fit in).

Of course they are both verses out of context but they still make me smile.

I am a theology student and for one of my essays I would really like to explore how churches could better support us. I wonder if anybody on here might be interested in answering some questions, and if there might be a way I could distribute them that wouldn't break the community rules? It wouldn't be until the New Year so plenty of time to figure it out :)

• I’ve been to several churches, mostly quakers and the first church of Christ scientist. Both are autistic friendly I would say. I’d be happy to answer questions. 

• The quaker  church may be autistic friendly but the spiritual foundations are now compromised. From my point of view it is theologically impossible to accept same sex marriage. This is based on genesis. This church in its their identity has accepted world principles and standards in its desire to accept and tolerate. The body of Christ should be there to set a standard that the world aspires to not the other way around.

• The quaker  church may be autistic friendly but the spiritual foundations are now compromised. From my point of view it is theologically impossible to accept same sex marriage. This is based on genesis. This church in its their identity has accepted world principles and standards in its desire to accept and tolerate. The body of Christ should be there to set a standard that the world aspires to not the other way around.

Children
  • You may feel like a bad Christian but like me you have sensitive ears. Have you though of hooking up with Mike Parsons Freedomarc.org if your local experience isn't doing it for you. Yes your church experience is about where it is today unless you find a lively/charismatic church that actively engages people and is friendly towards new people. Your experience suggests church in you new area  is becoming a religious social club for like minded people. However because God is real and on the move then there is always something somewhere where God has found a person or group of people to get closer to him and show it. Look on line or tell me where it is and I will help you look.

• The world leaders asking the body of Christ how to govern and make good laws like joseph or Daniel in their own generations. Some of the Kings from the old testament having conversations with the prophet to find out what to do. Yup got carried away by that comment. Sorry for that. 

• This is an interesting thread. When we moved house, I tried going to the local church. But I have a lot of problems with hearing - I have medium/severe hearing loss in both ears and am over sensitive to certain pitches and to sound volume. The main service had a choir and organ, so that was a non starter! The midweek service was in a tiny, closed room with 4 other people. That was worse because of dealing with strangers! Especially as one person was really insistant that I should stop for coffee. Then I found a service at another church with no music and the only time the congregation interacts is during the Peace. I can cope with that, but I do find it odd that no-one (including the priest) ever speaks to me, apart from one chap. Just 'hello' or 'goodbye' from the others. Someone mentioned somewhere else on the website that we may not want to be included in things, but we can still feel hurt when we're not! No logic to it. I have problems with prayer anyway as I have such loud tinitus. I plod on, hanging onto the faith, but I feel like a Bad Christian sometimes. 

Just thought I'd get thtat off my chest! Thanks for listening.

• Where does it say that the church should rule the earthly world?

• Read your bible and be scripturally sound in your reasoning.  Having the mind of Christ and believing in it. Understanding that neuro typicals may not understand or appreciate  where we are and inform them of our different experience. We can only persuade and educate and let god do the rest. The holy spirit will take us to the right places. Theology and correct world perception. For me the bible teaches that the church should rule the world and take dominion. Currently the world systems and values are doing that. Satan is the prince of the air so he is free to keep the minds of men blinded to the truth and in some in the churches. So do your bit and feed on the word and take communion and allow the work of the community of god to do the rest. Father son and spirit work together for mans salvation and redemption. We exist to fill the earth and demonstrate god in who we are. We are the dwelling place of the person of the holy spirit so just find out where we fit in.

• I don’t necessarily disagree but this isn’t the forum or thread for exploring that area. I’m more interested in learning from others how we can all improve our church going experience and so improve as a Christian