The Autistic Christian

Let me say from the start that I have a strong faith and although I’m willing to discuss it, I have not started this thread to try and evangelise anyone. Simply I’d like to discuss with other autistic Christians how they cope with church, other Christians and trying to resolve their head around everything.

Parents
  • Hi,

I am a Christian too.  I go to a charismatic church with ultra-long sermons.  I'm trying to start an extra sermon group who meet just through the sermons, but it looks as if I might have to do it myself!  There are about 5 or 6 people who would benefit from this.  The church has around 200 people each Sunday morning.  I hate it when they tell us to sit down - they say "Take a seat"  I might respond "where to?"  I have to adjust what is said sometimes!! Slight smile  

In the meantime,

Happy Christmas to everyone!

• Hi,

I am a Christian too.  I go to a charismatic church with ultra-long sermons.  I'm trying to start an extra sermon group who meet just through the sermons, but it looks as if I might have to do it myself!  There are about 5 or 6 people who would benefit from this.  The church has around 200 people each Sunday morning.  I hate it when they tell us to sit down - they say "Take a seat"  I might respond "where to?"  I have to adjust what is said sometimes!! Slight smile  

In the meantime,

Happy Christmas to everyone!

Children
  • To be honest I do not think anyone benefits from ultra long sermons, except perhaps the minister’s ego. 

As for church seating, I have an intense dislike of forward facing rows of seats as they do not allow inclusive worship, far from it. Early Christians shared worship and fellowship over meals not sat facing a minister. 

Does raise the interesting question as to what an autistic friendly church would look like and an autistic friendly service would be like?