First aid course

Parents
  • Hi Alopochen,

Yes - I have to do Emergency First Aid every year as part of my job (in care work).  It's usually a one-day refresher.  They vary in what they cover.  You learn how to deal with and recognise a range of conditions, including stroke, burns, epilepsy, fainting, blood loss.  You should also learn, with practical exercises, about putting people in the recovery position, and about administering CPR and defibrillation.  I'm the sort of person who learns best by doing something with a trained instructor.  You can learn so much from reading - but I don't think you can beat actually doing those hands-on exercises with someone who knows what they're doing.

Hope this helps.

Tom

• Just like tom I have to attend such a coarse mostly as a refresher for work. We usually have the same instructor,a female who has been on the frontline as it were, very practical and has honesty to say how it really is.

I struggle with the cpr now as doing two sets of 30 depressions and 2 breaths in a row hurts my back, I ask to be excused this time round as I have proved if needs be I have the technique but was refused. It hurt my back for a couple of weeks after. It was a training manikin and she knew if a life depended on it I would keep going until my last ounce of strength, but no I still had to complete it.

it should be quite informal.everyone is encouraged to join in and think about the risks we encounter in daily life at home and in work place.

I say go for it. It will give you confidence if ever you feel there is a need.

I did ask to be excused from watching a real life rescue and resuscitation video.

For some strange reason it brought me to tears as I was overwhelmed watching them working so hard to bring some one back, they were successful but it just overwhelmed me, I was allowed to leave the room for that bit.

good luck.

• Sounds like the one I saw, mate.  It was a documentary being made about beach lifeguards somewhere in Australia - and while they were talking to a guard, a young lad got caught in a rip tide.  Amazing that they managed to get him back.  He was technically 'dead' for several minutes.  Quite something when he opens his eyes!

• Sounds like the one I saw, mate.  It was a documentary being made about beach lifeguards somewhere in Australia - and while they were talking to a guard, a young lad got caught in a rip tide.  Amazing that they managed to get him back.  He was technically 'dead' for several minutes.  Quite something when he opens his eyes!

Children
No Data