Last night's dreams

Starting a new thread on dreams.

And how they come from real life experiences and fears and future predictions if any.

Last night was very rich in dreams.

First I dreamt of two people who are deceased , my parents and another women who I fell out with a couple of years ago.

One dream was visiting a seaside town ( don't know which one).  

Another dream I was exploring my local area and found new unexpected paths and views I've never expected to see.  This was based on reality because I am still exploring my locality and finding new ways of getting around.

A third dream I was visiting a couple of educational establishments that claimed good reputations.  and someone was saying they are awful and substandard.  This was based on the news reporting that several universities have been ordered to stop saying that they are in the top 1%, because they are clearly NOT.  And my jobsearch advisor putting me forward for a job at Macdonald's, saying that they are a very good employer.  ( I personally regard them and their food to be garbage).

Parents
  • I don't know if all dreams relate to real life so clearly, but I think certainly some will do.  You've obviously worked out the connection to a couple of your dreams there.

I have always had vivid dreams, often seemingly nonsensical but interesting.  I have only woken from a dream by sitting bolt upright twice.  On both occasions I dreamt of a car crash.  Within the next two days of each of the dreams someone I knew had a car crash.  In both cases no one was injured.  But I know if I ever get another dream about a car crash that wakes me in the night that something is going to happen.  Unfortunately the person who crashed in the dream didn't correlate to real life both times so I wouldn't be able to warn the person.

I have heard that MacD is a 'good employer' because they allow a lot of flexibility in the shift times.  However, I have to agree with you that their food is garbage.  I'm not sure I could cope with being in there too long because of the smell of it.  Although I know a few people like their coffee since they changed it.

• My hostility towards Macdonald's is based on what I heard several years ago about their working practices.  I don't know but they still do this.

That was that staff were only paid for the minutes they were actually serving customers.  At quieter times staff were asked to go into a staff restroom and were effectively clocked off and unpaid.  Then when it got busier they were asked to go back to the tills , then when it got quieter back to the restroom etc etc.   So in effect they are on the premises but only paid for part of the time.  And this off course works out that you're paid below the minimum wage.

Good employers such as supermarkets don't do this. When someone has an eight hour shift on the checkout.  They get paid for the full eight hours.  Even if they are sitting and daydreaming during quiet periods.

• That does sound dodgy.  Sadly there was probably a loophole in employment law around zero hours contracts that could allow such a thing to happen.  The staff would effectively be on call if they have to be available for work in a particular time period regardless of whether they're stood in a staff room or at the counter.  Though I'm not sure if there is a legal requirement to pay people to be on call.

I doubt that the law was in place to specifically allow somewhere like McD to do this.  Rather a technicality was found and exploited.

I know someone who works at an airport and they have a lot of waiting time due to their work being linked to flight departures and arrivals.  They are paid for that waiting time as they have to be available for work when the flights arrive.  If a flight is delayed they will also get overtime, even if there is a waiting period.  If the flight is delayed by a larger number of hours then they are allowed to go home with the pay for their shift.  The next shift would then deal with the delayed flight.  Similarly they could have to deal with an extra flight at the start of their shift if the previous shift have gone.  So it does all work out.  Sometimes they'll be busy and sometimes they'll be standing around, but they're always paid for the hours they are present at work and at a minimum the hours they were scheduled to work.

Sadly the MacD thing doesn't surprise me.  I don't rate them highly on ethics generally so I was surprised when someone told me they thought they were a good employer.  Popular with students apparently because they are given a list of possible shift times and are allowed to pick their own times each week.  Easily pleased I guess as there are so many other aspects of life at work that I would look for!

• My cousin was an air stewardess for BA at London city airport.

When she was on standby she was allowed to relax at home and still got paid for being available for work.  She got paid at a lower rate, but she got paid!Slight smile. Because she could get to work very quickly if needed.

But the Mac situation is where someone was on company premises in company uniform.  But told to clock off and go into a staff restroom just to avoid being paid on a technicality.

• My cousin was an air stewardess for BA at London city airport.

When she was on standby she was allowed to relax at home and still got paid for being available for work.  She got paid at a lower rate, but she got paid!Slight smile. Because she could get to work very quickly if needed.

But the Mac situation is where someone was on company premises in company uniform.  But told to clock off and go into a staff restroom just to avoid being paid on a technicality.

Children
No Data