A dilemma

I live in flats on the first floor, with people below and above me.

About once a week I have to endure the smell of weed coming in to my bathroom/toilet.

Should I report it to the landlord or police or do nothing about it?

• No.  I am not young nor naive.  I just find the smell of weed to be disgusting and it makes me feel sick.  As for the law!!!  I hate the police and am aware how justice and law are disconnected and still feel angry how one of my ex girlfriends got 12 months in jail for a technically illegal activity and the police offered the other guilty persons immunity from prosecution if they would testify against her.

• No! you'll just get persecuted, at worst, and at best you've shopped someone for doing what everyone almost does these days. There's probably more to this than you're saying, or you're so young and naive you think the law is there to be applied and serves justice. (No, and no.)

• I also find this smell disgusting.  And very different from tobacco.

It only occurs around once a week.   Many years ago I lived in flats where I endured the smell almost daily as it seeped into my kitchen through partition walls.  That was even worse.

• I live in a flat also and although I don't get the smell of pot the smell of tobacco I find disgusting and it often seeps up through the floors at night, but I especially noticeable if someone below lights up in the early hours.

Cannabis in all its forms has an utterly repugnant smell to me, and I can imagine it's mystic properties are not confined to the smoker but also could affect those close by. One of the things to be considered by those who want it legalised. 

Police often don't want to get involved these days for cannabis for personal use smoked in private premises. However a landlord who knowingly permits his property to be used for the taking of illegal substances could face large fines or even imprisonment. Which is why a landlord might evict someone who does.

Some users think the smell of joss sticks disguises the smell. It doesn't! It just adds another foul smell to the mix! 

• Very VERY glad tidings to you, Mister Robert123. I was going to post a longer reply to this, as, believe it or not, I am a similar situation (for at least five years, to date). But I held off from detailing my own situation, because I do not know how such things are handled in LAW. You yourself know of the "National Police Autism Association" site, and I figure that this would be a good question to post there, as well as to have posted here (in this Thread)... and *maybe* they (NPAA) will give an answer... maybe.

For now, I would say that I, too, also see and smell persons using "weed" (Cannabis/Marijuana, I assume?), and when that happens I, too, also do not know what to do. It is a very horrible smell. (All I can do is leave the area...) But I cannot always call the police, and sometimes they if they are notified, then they ignore it. Or other bad things happen. So, this post is just to let you know that you are not alone with this dilemma... Good fortune to you.

• I wouldn't want to get them in trouble or make them homeless but you're well within your right to do so.

Maybe a better solution would be to ask them or get a friend to ask them to stop/insulate their room better?