Carers Vs Narcissists - needing help & advice

Hi there 

I'm seeking some mental health and wellbeing advice about an issue that's becoming an increasing problem for me to deal with, particularly as society is now in covid-recovery.

The past two and a half years have been tough for everyone in terms of restrictions, "learning to live with the virus" and trying to regain lost social routines and confidence.

Of course everyone is trying to get by in life at the moment but I think the coronavirus pandemic has brought into sharp focus the divides between people with caring empathy traits and narcissistic people. And they appear to be getting worse.

Narcissists, having been told and instructed what to do by our governments for two years have reverted to their defaults or worse and are now enjoying their narrow, selfish definitions of "freedom" , often unaware or uncaring of the toxic effects of their behaviour on other people. It feels like these people are even more insufferable than they were before the pandemic started.

I've always been a well rounded university-educated person but I've always been humble with that intelligence.That seems to cause a lot of problems for other people around me, and indeed some people in a professional authority capacity who think I'm just going to put up with them because of their reputation.

I definitely disagree with the myth that autistic people lack empathy, personally I have a lot of it but at the same time I have little time for selfish narcissistic personalities: I find them toxic to be around and so I'm very selective with who I open up with. I also find that while they often crow about achievements, they lack substance, everything is focussed so much on their external "image".

Living in a big city presents opportunity to find the right kind of people to connect with but also a lot of challenges.

Right now my biggest challenge is how to deal with these selfish, disrespectful, narcissistic clowns: in the past I would have been really passive towards them. 

Given my two covid infection experiences and other recent health issues, I'm reinforced in my belief that my being humble is for the best but at the same time I'm definitely feeling the big urge to be much more aggressive towards selfish people. Because in all honesty, assertiveness only really seems to work when the other person(s) can be reasoned with. And after a while I do get really tired of being on the receiving end.

Sorry that this post is so long but this is a tough dilemma for me to handle and I'd like to hear how other people handle it: maybe some mental health experts can jump in on the thread as well to suggest ways that I can manage it and to stop feeling so "alienated" for simply standing out and having a care for other people.

Cheers.