Another New Person

Hello,

I'm a self-diagnosed female. I've been reading about Asperger's for a long time now and eventually decided to join this forum after watching Chris Packham's documentary the other day.

Hopefully i'll be on the same wavelength as some of you here. Nice to meet you all Slight smile

Parents
  • Nice to meet you.  I like your name.  I'm diagnosed, though late as I'm now 60 and I got the diagnosis in my 50s.  You should find many people on your wavelength here.  Do you identify with some of Chris Packham's traits?  He seems to be more what I'd call 'left-brain' autistic as he seems to have quite a scientific/mathematical bent.  I'm more right-brained.  I find the outside world quite difficult and confusing, so I make sense of it through my imagination.  Or, rather, I re-create it that way.  Look forward to seeing you around.

• Didn’t realise that we came in left handed flavours. I guess I would be left brain.....but I can also appreciate the right handed stuff...music, art, literature etc.......hey, makes me sound quite balanced out! 

• I'm sure you are a picture of balance Ellie!  I've also been wondering if we come in introvert and extrovert flavours too.

• Well done for creating such a mask! That must be useful Slight smile Thank you, same to you. I'm just enjoying browsing all the interesting topics on here.

• you'll find all flavours here.  I come across as articulate and extraverted but I wear a mask that helps me portray a "show of normality and fitting in".....but my inner self...is a knotted ball of wool with much of what I want to say suck in my throat or not quite reaching my finger tips! 

Hope all is well with you ProtectorOfTheSmall!

• Martian Tom said:
    That's how my brain works.  I forge links between different ideas, and my head does the rest.

I collect the flotsam....odd quotes from books read, patchworked with experiences and hopes and feelings to try and stick together the sense of things.....and people also!! :) 

• I can do the extravert dance...all jazz hands and unicorns.....but there is a whole lot of me in a very small box staying hidden! 

Back down the rabbit hole x

• Every human - NT or ND - has mental strengths.  Some are lucky and have equal strengths in both right-brain and left-brain thinking.  Such people, I think, are often the ones who go on to be great innovators.  People like Bill Gates, for instance.  My strengths lie in right-brain activities.  I can be logical, but I could never do stuff like higher math, computer coding, etc.  My brain simply can't handle that kind of information.  But I'll see connections between disparate things.  I'm able to use those connections to forge new entities.  I have Aspie friends who are brilliant at things like maths, or learning languages.  One of them writes code for computer games, and his 'talents' are much in demand.  My creativity doesn't work in that way.  I need input from a variety of sources, then I'll mentally forge them into a new whole.

I'm not sure if American writer Don DeLillo is on the spectrum.  But I read about the genesis of his magnificent, century-spanning novel 'Underworld'.  He was in a library and happened upon a newspaper front page from the '50s, which carried contiguous reports about a baseball game and a Soviet nuclear test (or maybe it was the launch of Sputnik).  From that overlap of ideas, the novel bloomed.  It is, for my money, the finest novel of the 20th century, about the 20th century.  That's how my brain works.  I forge links between different ideas, and my head does the rest.

• Oooh now that is a guilty pleasure! 

Does life sometimes feel like a film....and you the audience...emotionally involved, following the narrative...but seperate from...

i’ll get The ice cream if there is an interval

• Toffee popcorn, sickly sweet. x

• ASD is a cow...we see so much but can’t articulate, feel so much but can’t be loved...etcetc

fancy some popcorn? 

Reply Children
  • Martian Tom said:
    That's how my brain works.  I forge links between different ideas, and my head does the rest.

I collect the flotsam....odd quotes from books read, patchworked with experiences and hopes and feelings to try and stick together the sense of things.....and people also!! :) 

• Every human - NT or ND - has mental strengths.  Some are lucky and have equal strengths in both right-brain and left-brain thinking.  Such people, I think, are often the ones who go on to be great innovators.  People like Bill Gates, for instance.  My strengths lie in right-brain activities.  I can be logical, but I could never do stuff like higher math, computer coding, etc.  My brain simply can't handle that kind of information.  But I'll see connections between disparate things.  I'm able to use those connections to forge new entities.  I have Aspie friends who are brilliant at things like maths, or learning languages.  One of them writes code for computer games, and his 'talents' are much in demand.  My creativity doesn't work in that way.  I need input from a variety of sources, then I'll mentally forge them into a new whole.

I'm not sure if American writer Don DeLillo is on the spectrum.  But I read about the genesis of his magnificent, century-spanning novel 'Underworld'.  He was in a library and happened upon a newspaper front page from the '50s, which carried contiguous reports about a baseball game and a Soviet nuclear test (or maybe it was the launch of Sputnik).  From that overlap of ideas, the novel bloomed.  It is, for my money, the finest novel of the 20th century, about the 20th century.  That's how my brain works.  I forge links between different ideas, and my head does the rest.

• Oooh now that is a guilty pleasure! 

Does life sometimes feel like a film....and you the audience...emotionally involved, following the narrative...but seperate from...

i’ll get The ice cream if there is an interval

• Toffee popcorn, sickly sweet. x