Hi am new to the community seeking advice

Hi my son was recently diagnosed with ASD. My husband and I had suspected something wasn't quite right for while but were always told not to worry by his school teacher. We are now coming to terms with the diagnosis and looking for as much advice as we can get. What happens now we have the diagnosis, what do we need to do next? A massive thank you in advance for any advice given.

• Thank you Daniel. I have had to pester and constantly ask his school and CAMHS just get him assessed.  Feel like i am constantly fighting but never really getting anywhere. The consultant that assessed my son seemed to be in a rush and left CAHMS the day after she diagnosed him. I havd spoken to the SENCO at his school and she seems clueless as to what happens next, even though I know she has recently dealt with another recent diagnoses. I feel as though I am being messed around all the time. I almost feel as they have given given us the diagnoses and then shut us out. I am thankful that he is highly functional.

• Our community peadeatritian helped us fill out the form as it is not easy.

I would start by contacting CAMHS, as they have a helpline where you can ask all your questions and also look to get help with the form and anything else you are worried about. Because hey did the assessment you should already be in the system

https://youngminds.org.uk/find-help/for-parents/parents-helpline/

It can be a pain but I have found you have to pester everyone every step of the way, but its worth it in the end!

• No we were sent a letter after his assessment at CAMHS confirming his diadnosis. The school have been gucen recommendations but other that we've been told nothing. I have a DLA form to fill out but it's all a bit overwhelming.

• You shouldnt feel guilty! After we got a diagnosis for our son we were given follow up appointments and assigned a community pedeatrician who has helped us book speech therapy and a parents course for us. Have you been assigned someone?

• My son is 7 but will be 8 next month. I feel guilty we notice or take things more seriously earlier.

• Hi Gonzo09. How old is your son? My son has just been diagnosed and is about to start primary school in September