Newly diagnosed adult female Newcastle 38 years old

Hello, 

I was diagnosed yesterday. Today I have been thinking about things that have happened to me or that I have done in the new knowledge of my diagnosis. It's very odd. I was surprised to be diagnosed. I asked if I was borderline but they looked horrified and said that I was 100%, no doubt classic autism. 

I'd like to say hello to people on here. Hello.

Parents
  • Procrastinator said:

Is it possible to rethink yourself at 43?

Yes, I think so. I got diagnosed at 56 and am busy working out what to do with my future. A big part of diagnosis is understanding what makes you tick and why we struggled to understand the world and why the world struggles to understand us. I have learnt masses of stuff since diagnosis and now understand things a whole lot better.

• I'm curious. What would you regard as the most important things you have learnt since diagnosis?

• 1 - That I'm not 'broken', this is the way I am supposed to be.

2 - That it's okay to be me.

3 - That plenty of other people are like me!

4 - That I don't have M.E / C.F.S. (that diagnosis never did feel right to me) but I do often get social exhaustion and become overloaded, and that's fine because I can now learn how to limit and / or deal with that.

5 - That a diagnosis of HFA is synonymous with above average intelligence (smug smile). 

6 - That I've still got a lot to learn about myself and autism. 

• 1 - I'm still working on not feeling like that. I am very much grieving for all the lost time and opportunities that won't come back. Whilst I should just focus on gratefulness.
    2 - Well, I'm trying to be okay with it. The thing is I believe I become annoying if I don't correct myself
    3 - Yes, well that is very amazing, it is fun coming to this forum, and revel in the sense of belonging!
    4- Well, I started a new thread for that one.
    5- Hee Hee :-) 
    6 - Hell yes. I trust I'll be clued up by the time I am 86. 

• 1 - I'm still working on not feeling like that. I am very much grieving for all the lost time and opportunities that won't come back. Whilst I should just focus on gratefulness.
    2 - Well, I'm trying to be okay with it. The thing is I believe I become annoying if I don't correct myself
    3 - Yes, well that is very amazing, it is fun coming to this forum, and revel in the sense of belonging!
    4- Well, I started a new thread for that one.
    5- Hee Hee :-) 
    6 - Hell yes. I trust I'll be clued up by the time I am 86. 

Children
No Data