I’m new here … thoughts appreciated…

I’m a 60 year old man, and have only become aware of my autism over the last 3 or 4 years, after forming a relationship with a very social, extrovert and neurotypical partner.

Even with her best efforts, we don’t always understand each other, which makes for relationship conflicts, or need for time apart….

Thoughts and experiences welcome from both perspectives?!

Parents
  • welcome aboard! I am 70s and never fully managed to have this live-in, always there 'relationship', but I have many friendships.

Lots of people my age who are autistic are not aware of it but we find each other. It's important to be mindful of my friends. They are my flower garden and need watering.

• It's important to be mindful of my friends. They are my flower garden and need watering.

That is a lovely reminder to all 

(Remembering to maintain a timely connection with my relatives / friends / neighbours doesn't come so naturally for me - it doesn't mean I don't value them - rather, I can just run the risk of operating along a slightly different timeline.  I have regular contact point reminders for various people repeat scheduled into my electronic calendar ...to guard against my personal time clock drifting out of sync with that of my contacts, causing others to wonder why I have - eventually - popped up onto their radar after (to them) quite a long absence).

• It's important to be mindful of my friends. They are my flower garden and need watering.

That is a lovely reminder to all 

(Remembering to maintain a timely connection with my relatives / friends / neighbours doesn't come so naturally for me - it doesn't mean I don't value them - rather, I can just run the risk of operating along a slightly different timeline.  I have regular contact point reminders for various people repeat scheduled into my electronic calendar ...to guard against my personal time clock drifting out of sync with that of my contacts, causing others to wonder why I have - eventually - popped up onto their radar after (to them) quite a long absence).

Children
No Data