Recently Diagnosed and Confused.

This is something that me and my family have been trying to get for the majority of my life, A diagnosis.

I've recently turned 17 and have finally, after years of fighting, Got diagnosed with Autism and even though I'm obviously happy that I finally have the diagnosis, I'm a little down. I couldn't even bring myself to read the report that got sent back to explain my diagnosis and the different ways that people and myself can help me, It was 16 pages and the few pages I did read just didn't make sense and didn't sound like anything, If that makes sense. My Dad read it quickly and quietly, He didn't really explain much to me just said that it said I had Autism which was something I knew already because my Mum told me that part of it said this. I feel a little alone because even though, As I'm writing this, I'm with my Mum at her house, I live with someone who doesn't really understand this stuff and usually just ignores it or gets very frustrated when it comes to this kind of thing. 

I'm honestly just wondering if this is a normal feeling when you first get diagnosed or not? And if anyone knows how to help a parent to understand a little better even when you don't understand it yourself.

• Hi thats not good about the mistakes hopefully they will explain more at the appointment. Have you been able to find out a bit more now? Also did you think you were autistic before the diagnosis?

• Quacky,

Don’t worry about what the form says, for whatever reason they make it sound complicated but when it’s reworded in straightforward language the meaning is one sentence long.

As an example; “David has a difficulty with back and forward conversations and does not talk socially.*

You’ve probably read sentences like that, but what I’ve written means; “David talks about his interest to long.”

How much easier is it to understand the second? That’s the way it is with your form, they just complicate everything. A summary of your form is it’s saying what you find difficult. 

It’s good to learn about the condition from other autistic people online as well as professionals, don’t emphasise your difficulties as the professionals do, concentrate more on what you can do, don’t let the professionals discourage you by defining you by what you struggle with, define yourself positively acknowledging your strengths remembering you’re good at things non autistic people struggle with. Those of us autistic have abilities nonexistent in non autistic people because of the differences in brain wiring.

• I'll defo have a look at that.

Thanks. :)

• There are many YouTube autistic contributors. Just do a search on the platform and you will find a huge amount of information of how autistic people live their lives and coping strategies for existing in society. There are also many books available - one of the best being, The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome, by Tony Attwood.

• Its not a problem, i forget a lot of things, that's why IV got 3 white boards up in my house where I note down all appointments and all things I may forget. But I hope your appointment goes well :) 

• I've spoken to my Mum about my concerns about my Dad because I don't really feel 100% comfortable about talking to my Dad about this. It's just how we are, have been all my life. I just realised that I have an appointment with the place that did my assessment (Not too good at remembering that kind of thing) so maybe they'll do it then.

Thank you for the advice Slight smile

• Don't worry about any perceived mistakes, speak to your family about your concerns and take the report to either the person that did your assesment or your GP so go through the report with you 

• I've also seen one in here too......

• I've also just read through this again and notices a lot of different mistakes and I'm sorry for that, I did read it over and over but I tend to notices after the message has sent.