Hello! Any advice for undiagnosed adult?

Hello,

So, my story is that someone close to me pointed out the possibility I'm on the ADS and I took a questionnaire type of assessment test.

When I worked through the test I immediately recognised where it was going and I could even predict the questions.  My score was reasonably high.

Looking back into my personal history, this answers a lot of questions. 

Social situations can be very hard, small talk is uncomfortable to say the least.  I'm OK conversing with maybe 2 people (maximum) if it's about a subject I really understand, if conversation drifts into something else I realise I've lost it, I'm out of my depth.  I've realised that small talk isn't wholly verbal and I don't naturally pick up on the emotion, the part you can't hear.  I had a previous partner and I could sometimes realise that person was upset because there were tears and making loud noises, but up until that point I had no clue.  That person could have been upset for hours, perhaps it was simmering for weeks, but I didn't see it.  I exhibit lots of other classic signs.

I mask the signs well enough that nobody is aware (as far as I know) and I probably just come across as rude, quiet and antisocial.

I haven't had a diagnosis because I'm not sure it would help me.  I think I know without the diagnosis and it helps explain my experiences, but it doesn't really make me feel any better about it.  If I did have a diagnosis I suppose I could tell people?, but would this help, and it certainly wouldn't change the way I acted.

Writing this to an audience that understands does actually make me feel better. Slight smile

Parents
    • It's a myth that ASD's can't understand or read emotions. We just strugel to express empathy even though we do feel it. If you scored high it probably assumed you were just ticking every box you thought was an autistic trait when in fact the majority of us don't nesseraly have every autistic trait just a few. I scored relatively low only 6 out of 10 had a zoom meeting with a phycolgyicalist then a phycyatrists both said after talking to me half an hour asking me questions I was definitely ASD. But yeah I know how much anxiety sucks though and it's not easy to deal with but maybe your bipolar rather than autistic.
    • It's a myth that ASD's can't understand or read emotions. We just strugel to express empathy even though we do feel it. If you scored high it probably assumed you were just ticking every box you thought was an autistic trait when in fact the majority of us don't nesseraly have every autistic trait just a few. I scored relatively low only 6 out of 10 had a zoom meeting with a phycolgyicalist then a phycyatrists both said after talking to me half an hour asking me questions I was definitely ASD. But yeah I know how much anxiety sucks though and it's not easy to deal with but maybe your bipolar rather than autistic.
Children
No Data