Hello! (from undiagnosed)

Just saying hi!

I am new and looking forward to have some nice discussions with all of you. 

I'm not diagnosed and not planning to - I think I'm functioning too well to be entitled for the state sponsored investigation (living in Sweden), and I don't even know if I'd really be autistic, but does it matter? I'm just looking forward to talk about things I can relate to. Been suspecting I might be somewhere on the spectrum for reasons like anxiety issues, having hard time to handle lights, sounds and crowds, having to run out of a shopping mall in panic; been always the weird one, not getting the jokes, receiving complains at work that I interrupt people and have a weird voice/pitch when presenting, stuff like that :)  At the same time I do enjoy dinner parties and some social events, so who knows.

The best thing for me is being alone in the mountains - which is pretty hard now that I have a family, a small kid and a growing belly :)

Parents
  • Hi, welcome to the forum. I'm confused by your post. If you don't feel you'd be really autistic from a medical assessment, how can you self-diagnose? Sorry, I'm very logical so I sometimes need things explaining to me. Are you afraid to get an assessment, or is it impractical because of your family situation (and congratulations on the upcoming new arrival).

In my experience, it is always logical to get a diagnosis. I would never have considered an assessment until it was mentioned to me. But once it was mentioned, I could not live with the uncertainty. I had to know. Even if I didn't agree with the results, I could not have carried on without having a professional opinion. 

There must be some reason why you wanted to join the forum, for validation or confirmation of certain aspects of your experience. Maybe consider it as something to do in the future when you have more time?

As long as you are healthy and happy that is the main thing.

Best wishes.

• Thanks!

Investigation through the public system is only done for those adults who have serious hinders, where I live. The private one is unaffordable for me. And it takes time as well, yes. I am getting consultations now for other issues related to anxiety, so that will be enough for now.

Reasons for joining.. I thought that relating to experiences of others would be more valuable. 

• Hiya!  Well, I'm certainly finding it so.

I'm not diagnosed, although I'm waiting for an assessment.  Whichever side of the line I turn out to be on (I do have diagnosed dyslexia, and also have massive sensory issues resulting in meltdowns or shut downs, so an SPD would be the bare minimum the assessors could come up with I would think), it's already proving invaluable to me.

Welcome!  You'll find good company here, I'm sure.

Reply Children
No Data