Lost

Hi, I was diagnosed with autism 2 weeks ago, I’d been on the waiting list 18 months. I also have significant mental health problems. I thought the autism diagnosis would help me in understanding why I don’t understand life, but all I feel is lost and confused. I don’t know who I am anymore.

i also have a 17 year old son with autism, he was diagnosed when he was 14.

Parents
  • Take your time to let it all sink in and do some investigation. You already found your way here. 

To me it was like a mourning process, And it also surprised me that after the diagnosis they don't offer some more help, after all it is a condition without cure or specific goto-medication.

Talking to a psychologist could also help. 

To me what makes all the difference is taking lots of time, having my special interests (watches, atheism,... ) and spending enough time looking information about these topics, and doing things at my own slow pace and trying as much as possible to reduce stress. 

• Thank you, it’s good to have people that understand. Our phone and internet went down yesterday, so me and my son sat and watched a couple of DVDs, totally different to my normal routine, I was surprised at quite how much it threw me.

I’m still not over it today. Thankfully my CPN was able to get my phone line reconnection prioritised because of my mental health difficulties. So it’s sorted but I’ve shut down, can’t even think about what we’re having for tea, so getting a McDonalds.

• Monday night a tube from the sink upstairs got worn and punctured. The top floor bathroom was covered in water, and I woke up because some waterdrops fell through the ceiling in the room where I sleep. I woke up, and the hallway was also full of water. I mopped up about 30 liters of water. At first glance I thought the damage would be rather high, but it seems it's limited to the cabinet under the sink and one door that jams a bit, and a tiny bit of damage to a floot upstairs. This happened at 4 am, and I admit the next two days I took it very easy, that was a bit much. On the spot I was actually awake enough to close the water supply as fast as I could, but later it hit me a bit, so I know to take it easy.

• Thank you for understanding, I can see why a leak would throw you. I need to learn how to be kinder to myself, something I’m notoriously bad at.

Reply Children
No Data