Hi I'm New!

Hi, I'm Steve. I'm 44 years old and for at least 10 years I have thought I have Aspergers.

Parents
  • Hi Steve and welcome.

I'm almost 50 (next Friday) and am fairly new on the forums myself.  I joined on 01 November following my diagnosis on 31 October.

Like you, I've had a suspicion for several years that I'm on the spectrum.  I have a few friends that also enjoy hiking.  One gentleman has a son with asperger's and recognised traits in me.  One of the ladies has 2 grand-daughters on the spectrum:  one very severe, non-verbal, needs round-the-clock care and is in a residential home.  The other grand-daughter is more like me and trying to get on with her life the best she can.

I saw a GP in November 2014 and was told that adults weren't tested because it didn't change anything and children were only tested in case they need extra help with school.  In July 2018, I saw a different GP with a totally different attitude and she very kindly referred me to a clinic to be assessed but warned me about the time factor due to the waiting list.  I attended my assessment appointment in September and got my diagnosis on 31 October.  I'm now waiting to hear from adult social care regarding support.

Best wishes

Rio

• Hi Steve and welcome.

I'm almost 50 (next Friday) and am fairly new on the forums myself.  I joined on 01 November following my diagnosis on 31 October.

Like you, I've had a suspicion for several years that I'm on the spectrum.  I have a few friends that also enjoy hiking.  One gentleman has a son with asperger's and recognised traits in me.  One of the ladies has 2 grand-daughters on the spectrum:  one very severe, non-verbal, needs round-the-clock care and is in a residential home.  The other grand-daughter is more like me and trying to get on with her life the best she can.

I saw a GP in November 2014 and was told that adults weren't tested because it didn't change anything and children were only tested in case they need extra help with school.  In July 2018, I saw a different GP with a totally different attitude and she very kindly referred me to a clinic to be assessed but warned me about the time factor due to the waiting list.  I attended my assessment appointment in September and got my diagnosis on 31 October.  I'm now waiting to hear from adult social care regarding support.

Best wishes

Rio

Children
No Data