Not sure how safe it is on here

Why is there constant fraudsters on hear, the new attempt to take advantage of vulnerable people is from an American living in France? Yep... He wants to share his wealth with the lucky person who emails him..... WTF. 

• We certainly get more than our fair share of fraudsters and con artists on this site, trying to sell all types of junk.

Just let us help each other to stay safe by identifying these posts and not giving out our personal details, that can identify us or where we live.

• I've only been a forum member for a few days and it's quite likely I've joined at a time when they are being particularly active. Plus for me personally they stick out like a sore thumb and I'm particularly aware of them. 

But I believe it can be quite disconcerting for some people, K the op doesn't seem to have posted again after starting this thread about here concerns, of course that could just be coincidence.

It is what it is I suppose. 

• Ah, sorry, I thought we were talking about people befriending forum members and subsequently conning them.

The sort of post you linked to is so bleeding obvious, it is best just to report it as abusive via the ‘more’ link next to the ‘reply’ link.

The forum seems to go through periods of this spamming activity. I suspect it is a never ending battle for the administrators.

I’ve recently started tweeting. For a social media novice it makes this forum look like tea at the Ritz.

If you are unsure about a post, either ask another member or post your concerns. I don’t like NAS 123456 posters, as I can’t be arsed to remember who they are. Consequently, I am always a bit wary of them.

• And they don't have usernames they just stick with the site allocated numbers. 

I take it back - one just turned up with a user name...

They're evolving Rofl

• They also tend to be first time posters with no history or much relevance to the thread they're posting in. And they don't have usernames they just stick with the site allocated numbers. 

• I have reported it - are you a mod? I can't find and info on who the staff or mods are, I'm just curious. 

• The normal mode of operation is replying to an ancient thread with an abstract reply that includes a link to a website offering a too-good-to-be-true wonder-thing.   Or £2.5M if you just give your e-mail address!  Smiley

• Can someone enlighten me as to where this is occurring so I can report it ASAP.  Screen shots please if you can :) otherwise I have found it OK  in this forum  apart from the fact everyone is slightly obsessed with autism Wink

• For me It's people who post on the forum, I haven't been contacted directly but I've turned my messaging off for just now and for the time being. There is an amazing amount of people spamming this site. Last night there were several all hit at the same time and kept posting one after the other. I'm not very familiar with many other forums but this is the most spammed site I've ever come across, I can only imagine they think a site like this is an easy target because they think we can't tell they are scammers. 

• Sorry to hear about this. Is it people who pm you, or posts on the forum?

I must admit I’ve been on here 18 months and haven’t been contacted by any dodgy characters. That might be because I’m 63 year old male, I don’t know.

• I think that's very true.

Also if you are someone who sells paint/DVDs/magic spells then you just google loads of keywords related to paint/DVDs/magic spells and see what forum posts come to the surface, or make a list of anything that makes someone vulnerable and find forums for those vulnerabilities - It is definitely a good time to be a psychopath. Rolling eyes

• Most forums are mined by Google to try to build pictures of the posters for selling their data.      The internet is like the Wild West right now - use it with caution.

Special interest forums are easier to police - the fakers from Nigeria can't talk the talk so they are easier to spot.     This sort of general chat forum is a good place for fakers - they just need to type some generic stuff to hook people in.

• I wholeheartedly agree with you. I'm a member of another forum (a special interest one) where we have a zero tolerance ethic towards spammers and scammers so I report them for deletion but the number of scams and spams I've seen and reported on this forum is frightening in number and regularity. 

Personally, I quite like swatting them but it is a little disconcerting and I do worry that there might be people who are vulnerable who get pulled in - not by morons with 2.5 million cos who's gonna fall for that - but what happens when someone less obvious comes along offering help. 

And it does make you wonder what con artists are lurking reading what we write. Food for though. 

• Don't be put off - just don't give any identifiable data away - most people on here are as helpful as can be.

• Ha,

your welcome to it not sure that I want to share my experiences on here any more though shame really because it's been a bit of an outlet these past few days.

Hay Hoe. 

• Spammers and fraudsters exist everywhere - it's only when they show their hand that you can spot them.       Most of this can be avoided with a basic cynicism of the internet.

PS - the money is mine - I saw it first!   Smiley