Asperger's and Medication for Meltdown/Panic Attacks

Hi, my name is Chris and I'm an Asperger's sufferer and the father of a high-functioning Asperger's boy, well , young adult now. My son has been suffering with depression and anxiety, and has been having severe panic attacks. Mix this lot up with Asperger's and he has has severe breakdowns that he, and we, are failing to manage. He has been prescribed Daizepam in the past, amongst other things, and it has been very effective in bringing him out of the irrational, delusional state and allowing us to talk him down. Nothing else has worked with him, including mindfulness, meditation, and the suchlike. Once he's broken down he's virtually unreachable. Unfortunately, his GP has ramped down his Diazepam dosage/prescription to 3 tablets a month (from 7)and is citing addiction. Has anyone else had experience with Diazepam and Asperger's? As it been effective? Any GP reluctance to prescribe?

Parents
  • surely there are other medications ?

• He's on anti-depressants, but they have little effect, and he was on Quetiepine, but they've withdrawn that citing possible diabetes on long-term use. He was on them for about 3 months; 2 tablets a night. Nothing else has been offered.

• Hi, not good at replying on here, but i wanted to say that quetiapine is a good medication for anxiety and the meltdowns associated with aspergers. 

I take 200mg extended release at bedtime, which helps me to sleep, and keeps me calmer for day to day living.  I also have 5 diazapam per month on repeat prescription     I use these for unexpected happenings which panic me enough to cause a meltdown  Without these on standby i would go into crisis and need extra mental health care. 

All medications have side effects. I have  regular blood tests to make sure i stay healthy . I think the diabetes may occur if there is weight gain, so i am careful to maintain a healthy diet . 

I would ask to see the community mental health team. They are much more likely to be sympathetic to your sons mental health needs. 

Hope this helps. 

• Hi Loreen - I'm not too good with these forums either! More the mechanisms of them than anything. Thanks for replying, it's a great help. We suggested regular health checks/blood tests but they rejected the suggestion and won't prescribe Quetiepine. He's not overweight, and is now attending the gym (in the quieter times). He had been getting 7 Diazepam (5mg) per month, but they reduced that to 3. He, and we, have been trying to get him help from the mental health support team, both primary and secondary care, since February of this year, but to no avail. He's been in crisis many times, but he's dealt with and dismissed without any follow-up unfortunately. I know they have limited resources, but if he had support, then he wouldn't end up being treated under crisis! Again, thanks so much for your help.

• Hi Loreen - I'm not too good with these forums either! More the mechanisms of them than anything. Thanks for replying, it's a great help. We suggested regular health checks/blood tests but they rejected the suggestion and won't prescribe Quetiepine. He's not overweight, and is now attending the gym (in the quieter times). He had been getting 7 Diazepam (5mg) per month, but they reduced that to 3. He, and we, have been trying to get him help from the mental health support team, both primary and secondary care, since February of this year, but to no avail. He's been in crisis many times, but he's dealt with and dismissed without any follow-up unfortunately. I know they have limited resources, but if he had support, then he wouldn't end up being treated under crisis! Again, thanks so much for your help.

Children
No Data