A wild newbie appears!

Hello fellow Aspies Slight smile

I'm a 24 year old Autistic woman and it's only recently that I've really started to take my Autism into consideration. That's why I've joined this forum, in hopes of helping me understand it a lot more and also being able to relate to other people (something I struggle with!)

I also struggle when it comes to online communication. It feels like a chore to constantly keep up with it. I know a lot of other Autistic people find it's the best way for them to communicate, and I'm sort of hoping that's how it will be for me. Or at least, I hope to become better at it. :) 

So yeah, just wanted to introduce myself. Hope to be able to speak to lots of cool people and improve my online presence.

Peace out ^^

Parents
  • Welcome aboard.  I can definitely relate to communication sometimes feeling like a chore.  Some days I can chat away (so long as I can keep up with the conversation), others I just can't be bothered and maybe disappear for days at a time.  People take it the wrong way and think you aren't interested or don't like them for some reason, which is a reasonable assumption I suppose, but as with everything autism related it's never that simple.  And so I too spend ages writing and re-writing posts.  Doesn't help that half the time on this forum when I write a reply and hit post it just disappears into the ether!

• Yeah, I've never really had much success when it comes to online communication. On Twitter I've tried being friendly and stuff but always feel like I'm coming off as phoney?

Maybe it's just me, but it never feels natural. Sometimes when I'm messaging people I know, I still feel that awkwardness. Like I'm intruding on their lives or something. 

• Well you've got guts to even post on Twitter imo.  Everyone's so fragile, I'd probably say something stupid and offend the entire planet, end up becoming a meme or something.

Reply Children