Autism and age difference friendship

Is it common for an autistic boy at the late teen age (around 16- 19 years old) only play with young children while refuse to interact with their peers? I have autism(PDD-NOS) and I usually only play with children (around age 6-8 years old) around my area but I don't get on well with my peers. the reason is because my peers world and my world are completely different and can't fit each other. I loves playing with figurines and dolls as an 18 years old but my peers loves being popular and play sport to attract people. So dolls and figurines are my world and being popular like playing sport is my peers world. So that's why I don't get on well with my peers. but children loves playing with figurines and doll so that's why I get on well mostly with children but I also get on well with other people with autism of any age if their world are similar to my world. So part of my spare time, I play with children around my area. So i just like to wonder how common is that for other autistic people at the age of older adolescent or young adult age?

Parents
  • Is it common for an autistic boy at the late teen age (around 16- 19 years old) only play with young children while refuse to interact with their peers?

Personally, I think you're asking the wrong sort of question here  as, from the sounds of things, you've discovered that you are interested in things which are different from your peers and have found people that are interested in the same things and want to hang out with them. There isn't anything remotely wrong with that! I think what you now need to do, going forward, is simply to see if you are there are any people of your age group that are interested in 'your world' as you have chosen to call it and playing with figurines as a past time. I don't really think it matters if I'm honest 'how common it is' for other people to have this fascination with playing figurines if you enjoy it and it doesn't harm anyone you should be allowed to do it.

Calvin&Hobbes Fan

• But I enjoy hanging out with children as most children enjoys things in my world. I don't even bother not having a peers friends. I just like to know how common is that as an autistic person interacting with the chidren.

• I don't even bother not having a peers friends.

Hey thanks for the reply. The purpose of my reply was not to condemn you for hanging out with children or youngsters- I am very sorry if that was the impression you have received- it wasn't my intention. The purpose of my reply was simply to point out to you that these youngsters/children that you are playing with won't be young forever. Therefore, at some stage of your life, you are going to have to have to play with those who are of your own age. I understand that this must be difficult for you to hear, as these people (from what I have heard, have been very kind and accepting of you). Which is why, in my response, I have suggested to you that you find other (i.e not those in your peer group) that have the same hobbies and interests as yourself. As for how common it is that an autistic person interacting with children/ child is, I think that it's fairly common as most of us aspies/ autistic people are kind and caring towards children. Some of us, even have children of our own! 

Hope this has answered your queries and concerns,

Calvin&Hobbes Fan

• I don't even bother not having a peers friends.

Hey thanks for the reply. The purpose of my reply was not to condemn you for hanging out with children or youngsters- I am very sorry if that was the impression you have received- it wasn't my intention. The purpose of my reply was simply to point out to you that these youngsters/children that you are playing with won't be young forever. Therefore, at some stage of your life, you are going to have to have to play with those who are of your own age. I understand that this must be difficult for you to hear, as these people (from what I have heard, have been very kind and accepting of you). Which is why, in my response, I have suggested to you that you find other (i.e not those in your peer group) that have the same hobbies and interests as yourself. As for how common it is that an autistic person interacting with children/ child is, I think that it's fairly common as most of us aspies/ autistic people are kind and caring towards children. Some of us, even have children of our own! 

Hope this has answered your queries and concerns,

Calvin&Hobbes Fan

Children
No Data