New and confused

I hope I don’t offend anyone I apologise now if I do.

My partners got 3 children with his ex partner and the 2 eldest have recently been diagnosed with autism. He’s struggling to cope and I have a 17 month old son with him who doesn’t hold his own bottle or talk apart from row row and it might be normal but I’m worried that my son might have autism to I read stuff online and it scares me feel like I can’t talk to anyone. 

His children in order of gender are:

boy- 7

boy-6

girl-3

boy-17 months 

what’s the likelyhood of our son having autism and where do I go from here?

thanks in advance 

Parents
  • Hi all my son does eat but only what he wants and he doesn’t eat a lot. I’m not jumping to conclusions of autism I came on here for support and to find out if anyone would help to tell me some signs to look out for. 

When he plays it’s always on his own when he’s at baby group he never plays with anyone he will give them toys but then he will go off on his own and it’s like that when he plays with his brothers. 

• Hi all my son does eat but only what he wants and he doesn’t eat a lot. I’m not jumping to conclusions of autism I came on here for support and to find out if anyone would help to tell me some signs to look out for. 

When he plays it’s always on his own when he’s at baby group he never plays with anyone he will give them toys but then he will go off on his own and it’s like that when he plays with his brothers. 

Children
  • The fact that he plays to some degree with his brothers is a good sign, remember they must be enormous to him. I don't remember playing with my younger brother when young, except in passing.

Flicking fingers in front of his eyes to get visual stimulation, but all children do it, but not to the same degree if it noticeably often.

Shattering Clay plant pots on a path in the garden to get noise and visual stimulus as the parts fly apart. He is known to do the same with egg from the Fridge on the floor. (Not so often now) and crockery a stress relief to a climax of stressful behavior, then calm.

Insisting on getting dressed in a certain order, sometimes wanting inappropriate clothing like wearing two pairs of pants. and outdoor clothes inside the home. 

As a child liking thing coming at his face like toy trains on a track, with his head on the track, visual stimulation..

Spinning round and round to get giddy and falling down, with a danger of hitting his head.

Liking the outside breeze on his bare skin, obviously when it's sunny. 

liking perhaps colder than usual splashes in the bath, when older taking cold showers that seem's odd behavior.

Having to wear a nappy when he is older.

Liking repetition, repetition, repetition etc.of something he can control, such as you reading a story. maybe sounds, voice or music on a loop when older. 

Most Children will do unusual things like all the above, That is why Doctors and professionals will not commit themselves until a child is about 3.5 years

But letting your doctor know your worries may get you help with all of the burden you appear to be undertaking.

• Hi,

As I said in previous post 17 months is still young especially for social skills! It is also not unusual to be picky eaters at that age. 

Is he having unusual reactions to things? Ie struggling with sensory problems touch, taste, smell or sound? Does he acknowledge you when you enter/leave room (I no he can't speak but does he notice) does he have any kind of repetitive behaviour/movement? Does he get very upset if you change his routine? Does he give eye contact? 

If you are noticing alot of these types of behaviour then you really need to talk to health visitor. If not keep an eye on his behaviour keep a record this can help for referral. But 17 months is young he may just be going at his own pace! 

If concerned talk to doctors or health visitor, please don't be put off by users that choose words such as handicapped.