Assessment nearing...

Greetings

This is my first day on the forum so I'm just getting on the scoreboard  so to speak. 

I am 51, and having my NHS autism assessment very soon.

I am keeping this a secret except with my partner who knows- he is trying  to be nice about  things but clearly has no idea what adult ASD is about. Hence I am on here just to touch base with y'all. I've been browsing a bit at your messages and feel a bit less frantic now  I've proof I am not alone in a bad dream.

One question.  I was told the nhs waiting list is very long, then was suddenly offered an assessment. Is this just lucky chance or is there significance behind such a quick appointment? 

BW 

Esmeralda 

• Seriously? They need to see an older person first? 

I did note at the information day that the facilitator double'checked 3 people's names and I was one of them. This makes me curious. Then when she was talking about the procedure for taking a cancellation appointment she looked right at me i  particular  until i made eye contact and nodded my head. This woman seems to be trying to indicate something to me? 

• I think you are right about the short-notice appointment thing. I just got mightily confused after being told how long I would have to wait.... then wow a slot comes out of the blue.

Judging by what people are saying on here I think I am really lucky (if that is the right way of looking at it) that I live in an area with an unusually good service for ASD. Hence waiting months not years.

Not long until i find out what the deal is anyway! 

Thanks for replying :D 

• Hi - welcome - I'm new here too and in the same situation as you. Have not told anyone apart from my partner, no family history involvement. I ticked a box on my forms saying that I would take a short notice appointment - maybe that's what this is for you? 

• Thanks for your responses all, appreciated!

This is my first appointment, but I have so far filled in an Early Years questionnaire and attended an information  and Wellbeing  afternoon with 11 other people. I was led to believe  that I would be waiting another  6 months to be seen for assessment  so when I an called so much quicker  than that I  start to imagine all kinds of things. But it's  probably  not significant at all..

• I have recently received a letter from my local ASD clinic stating that I am on a waiting list. It also indicated that sometimes people may cancel their appointment, and therefore if I wanted to expediate the waiting process I would have to notify them of my desire to take their place.

So it could be that someone cancelled their appointment, and you were at the top of the waiting list so you were set to take their place.

It could also be that the first appointment is not really the actual assessement, but a preliminary review, it could be that due to your age they want to rule out any other conditions. You would have to ask them. Some assessements are done over a period of many sessions for a more detailed diagnosis.

• I have nothing of any real value to say, just wanted to say, hello and welcome, good luck with your assessment.

• Hi 

Welcome to the forum! Generally NHS times can be long but it does depend on where you live, it's a real postcode lottery! 

Is it your first appointment? If so it might just be a consultation rather than the assessment, some people have a few before they are assessed. 

Anyway just wanted to say welcome!