Daughter 36, recently diagnosed with Autism

Hello everyone.

New here. At the beginning of February our daughter was diagnosed with Atism. It’s been such a long journey. I have launched her on the world so many times and every time she hit the rocks. Having worked in the field of disabled children for 20 years and having been involved in producing training resources for social workers and service providers, i failed to spot my own child’s autism. 

The young woman who assessed her was not in the slightest bit surprised that I hadn’t been able to identify the root cause of her difficulties. Even though I have been Trying to support her all her life, the diagnosis has been a massive game changer.

i feel like a black hole, absorbing her negativity. She is a wonderful young woman and the positive energy she emits is equally powerful but I’m just not coping with the emotional responsibility. The realisation that this is not going to go away.

i have so much to say I feel that I could type my fingers off...right here and now. No one to talk to about it. My husband isn’t one to talk. No one else believes she’s autistic, apart from her twin brother and older brother. I feel exhausted with the maelstrom of emotions since she was diagnosed.

i would like to connect with other parents that have been around, in a support role when a late diagnosis comes about.

thanks 

Parents
  • Welcome! :) 

It's really common to miss your child's disability! So many of us are in the mindset that since it's quite uncommon, it won't affect our child, so we unconsciously reject any signals that suggests that our children could have it. You don't need to prove this to anyone - just focus on looking after your child, and then you'll both be happiest!x

Much love <3

• Thank you. Yes, especially with girls. She is so good at presenting herself. My family just see it that I am reluctant to cut the apron strings. Couldn’t be further from the truth. We are slowly ajusting to the new diagnosis and we need to find the way forward together. Things can only get better, as they say. My daughter is ver positive about it. She feels better about herself knowing that it’s not that she’s crap at life, she’s just been trying to live someone else’s life  and not her own. She will get there.  

• Thank you. Yes, especially with girls. She is so good at presenting herself. My family just see it that I am reluctant to cut the apron strings. Couldn’t be further from the truth. We are slowly ajusting to the new diagnosis and we need to find the way forward together. Things can only get better, as they say. My daughter is ver positive about it. She feels better about herself knowing that it’s not that she’s crap at life, she’s just been trying to live someone else’s life  and not her own. She will get there.  

Children
No Data