Swedish student writing his thesis about people on the autism spectrum and their use of new media!

Post removed as it contravenes our rule 8 of our community ' Requests for research study subjects and surveys need to be directed to research@nas.org.uk for data protection and research ethics reasons. Further information can be found on our research pages. Please be advised that any requests for research subjects or surveys posted on the Community will be deleted without warning'.

Ayshe Mod

Parents Reply Children
  • Check out this documentary if you haven't already...

Citizenfour

• You make a good point. Of course, some young people are savvy into how this monitoring is going on and so are becoming averse to doing ANYTHING controversial such as getting drunk, having a sexual relationship etc., because what if it comes up on Twitter/Instagram/Facebook... that in itself is worrying, in terms of how mentally messed up people may be becoming thanks to this technology.

• A bit of each.  Plus, I just like to be anonymous.  If I ever became famous, I'd have to go into hiding.

The way I see it is this...

If the government announced one day that everyone in the country would henceforth be compelled by law to wear a device which not only allowed the authorities to know precisely whereabouts the wearer was at any given time, but also gave them access to each person's private details - personal contacts, financial status, interests, habits, family members, friends, medical history, food preferences, alcohol consumption, political affiliations, religious beliefs, etc - there would be a national outcry about invasion of privacy, breach of human rights, 'surveillance state', and so on.

But what is a smart phone if not that device?  And the irony?  People love having them.  And they're even willing to pay high prices for the privilege!

Classic, eh?  Dressing up a social monitoring and surveillance tool as a desirable consumer product and lifestyle choice.

One of my memes...

• I see (= 

Banksy - one of my favourites. 

Being anonymous is crucial for you, I guess. Would you like to elaborate as to why that is? Bad experiences? General fear of being a part of a system that monitors you?

All the best,

Björn

• You won't find them. Anonymous . You'll have to guess!  One of them appeared on TV news once, which was unnerving!  All political.  None for any financial gain . I just put the stuff out there, like Banksy!