Getting help.

My wonderful son is now 19 years old. He has Aspergers , he has the most amazing sense of humour and everybody loves him. Now my reality.. he finished college in June 2018. Both me and my Husband work full time. In the beginning of November 2018 I called adult social services to register my son , so he can qualify to do voluntary work at a nearby park with other adults. Thomas will not go out alone and would be vulnerable if he did. So were working,  Thomas is home alone, doing computer, tv etc. Totally not ideal. I am often in touch with social services and always get the same reply...your on our list. Today I threw in that I work in residential child care and know what I'm talking about when I say Thomas needs to be processed bloody quickly.  Thomas is now making new routines and problems for himself, as he is not getting the proper help. I have told social services today that it is becoming a safeguarding issue. I am currently awaiting a response.  What else can I do. I'm getting pretty annoyed now. Any ideas!!!

Parents
  • Social Service Departments across the country are stretched to their limits, with hundreds of desperate people eagerly waiting support. Each department will have time scales in which they have to respond although I'm not sure if that is related only to older people? But you can check with your local department what their time scale is in which they are required to respond.

If it is a safeguarding issue then they will definitely have a respond time.

I don't think being annoyed will help as it clouds our judgements. In general, in Social Services, those who shout loudest get seen first as most social workers are working at crisis point. Are you waiting for a health and social care assessment or for him to simply be on a list to do some voluntary work? I'm not quite sure what it is you're after so it's hard to say but I do know they get lots of calls daily from people desperate for help. As a social worker I have often worked on duty, taking the daily calls. In some authorities we can respond to some of those calls on the day or sign post but other than that, we put the person on a list and it's out of our hands. We can check on the progress etc but it all depends on staffing levels etc and how they work their system. 

Do they have a well being team who you can speak to? They know the most about what's available in the community and you don't usually wait to see them. They usually make contact with you within a day or two. Do you know what it is specifically what you want? 

Your son sounds like a truly wonderful young man and I'm glad he's got you in his corner. Some things do take time, so maybe think about what you can do in the meantime? What resources do you currently have? For example, is there any body else in your friends and family circle who could spend a bit of time with your son, outdoors? What do the local churches offer? What about local MIND groups and groups like that? Can you help him expand his areas of interest into something he can work on, for example, what is his interest in computers? 

You may have already thought of all these things. I guess I'm suggesting maybe focus your attention on what you do have and how you can make the most of that instead of focusing your energy on how long the social services are taking to provide support. If you've done all you can with them and it's a matter of waiting, why not be pleased that you've done that and focus your attention on all the good things you already have and how you can support your son in the meantime to get out a little more or whatever it is you're after doing. Keep bringing your attention back to the solutions is what I'm saying, I guess. 

• Social Service Departments across the country are stretched to their limits, with hundreds of desperate people eagerly waiting support. Each department will have time scales in which they have to respond although I'm not sure if that is related only to older people? But you can check with your local department what their time scale is in which they are required to respond.

If it is a safeguarding issue then they will definitely have a respond time.

I don't think being annoyed will help as it clouds our judgements. In general, in Social Services, those who shout loudest get seen first as most social workers are working at crisis point. Are you waiting for a health and social care assessment or for him to simply be on a list to do some voluntary work? I'm not quite sure what it is you're after so it's hard to say but I do know they get lots of calls daily from people desperate for help. As a social worker I have often worked on duty, taking the daily calls. In some authorities we can respond to some of those calls on the day or sign post but other than that, we put the person on a list and it's out of our hands. We can check on the progress etc but it all depends on staffing levels etc and how they work their system. 

Do they have a well being team who you can speak to? They know the most about what's available in the community and you don't usually wait to see them. They usually make contact with you within a day or two. Do you know what it is specifically what you want? 

Your son sounds like a truly wonderful young man and I'm glad he's got you in his corner. Some things do take time, so maybe think about what you can do in the meantime? What resources do you currently have? For example, is there any body else in your friends and family circle who could spend a bit of time with your son, outdoors? What do the local churches offer? What about local MIND groups and groups like that? Can you help him expand his areas of interest into something he can work on, for example, what is his interest in computers? 

You may have already thought of all these things. I guess I'm suggesting maybe focus your attention on what you do have and how you can make the most of that instead of focusing your energy on how long the social services are taking to provide support. If you've done all you can with them and it's a matter of waiting, why not be pleased that you've done that and focus your attention on all the good things you already have and how you can support your son in the meantime to get out a little more or whatever it is you're after doing. Keep bringing your attention back to the solutions is what I'm saying, I guess. 

Children
No Data