My therapist has suggested I am high functioning autistic.

Hi Everyone,

I've been seeing a private therapist since November for my Social anxiety and depression. I've been on Citalopram (an anti depressant ) for the last 7 years. Yesterday she told me that based on many of the things I've said I sound as though I may be in the autistic spectrum, though it's not an official diagnosis, however I believe her to be right, I've actually been wondering when/if she would mention the elephant in the room!

She said it was up to me if I wanted to get a diagnosis, but didn't seem to see much benefit. It is a rather strange feeling, I'm both in shock, and not shocked in the slightest by this "diagnosis". I just wondered what members here think, is it worth me pursuing a diagnosis? I'm self employed so it doesn't affect my job, though my social anxiety is a real challenge, but it always has been!

I'm very grateful for any help, thanks so much, Mark.

Parents
  • I needed my diagnosis so I could put the thought to rest. For me it has been a positive decision but no benefit other than my own peace of mind. It really depends on how you feel about it.

• Thanks so much for both replies. I am Shocked martian Tom that it took so long to be diagnosed, I assumed it'd be a few little tests!

For you it seems like it has had some benefits regarding work. I can't think of any way it'd help me but I have a doctors appointment in a few months so maybe i'll run it past him.

I'm hoping it'll also allow me to be myself, which I believe is my therapists intent by voicing her suspicions, my anxiety seems to be born out of feeling different and trying to fit in, which I suspect many many people here are familiar with, so if I deal with this information in the right way I like to think i'll be able to lessen my worries a little and best of all be myself :) Your help is very much appreciated.

• The length of time and the process will vary from area to area.  I had a preliminary assessment at home, and the assessor confirmed that it was worth going forwards for a full assessment.  I had to wait about another 9 months for that.  Then a couple of months before the final report arrived.  That was on the NHS.  You could get it done quicker if you decide to go for a private diagnosis.  I know that some people on the forum have done that, so they could probably give you a better idea about time and costs.

You might find it useful to check out the site's information.

Autism Diagnosis for Adults

my anxiety seems to be born out of feeling different and trying to fit in, which I suspect many many people here are familiar with

Absolutely!  That's the case for me.  That's why having the diagnosis was such a relief.  It finally unlocked the puzzle.

Have you taken the AQ (Autism Spectrum Quotient) Test yet?  It's the standard test that's used pre-diagnosis.  In itself, it doesn't confirm anything - but it can give you an indication of how you stand.  Most non-autistic people will score below 20.  30 or above is usually indicative.

AQ Test

• Well I got exactly 30 on the test! I wouldn't want to pay privately (read..spending plenty on therapy!) Nor put myself through lots of tests so for the moment I think I'll just assume that I most likely am in the spectrum, albeit just. As the day has wore on I feel that learning this about myself is much more of an opportunity than some kind of "curse". 

I'm pleased to be here with like minded people, quite possibly for the first time in my life :)  thanks all for the warm and informative welcome and I look forward to getting to know you all.Mark.

• Well I got exactly 30 on the test! I wouldn't want to pay privately (read..spending plenty on therapy!) Nor put myself through lots of tests so for the moment I think I'll just assume that I most likely am in the spectrum, albeit just. As the day has wore on I feel that learning this about myself is much more of an opportunity than some kind of "curse". 

I'm pleased to be here with like minded people, quite possibly for the first time in my life :)  thanks all for the warm and informative welcome and I look forward to getting to know you all.Mark.

Children
No Data