Not sure but concerned for children

Hi I am Mike

I have never been good a social situation from. A child I would fake illness so not to go to school disco's and only had a small number of friends, but I got by and will by 40 next year. I have a good job and have an electrical contracting business sometimes I wonder if it's worth it for the effort involved.

I do find it difficult but don't know if this is the norm, electric's come easily to me and was my major srong point in at school in physicsI can imagine the logic  yet I can't visualise the thongs in my mind, if I close my eyes and think I get nothing it's just like static on a old tv. Yet again is this the norm when people ask you to visualise things do they  appear in the mind or not. For me it no and I know  no different.

I don't catch all of a conversation as I hear everyone else in the background and do get accused of not listening yet the harder I do try to listen the more I here of the background and I can't single out one person. This really cause arguments with my wife as she thinks I just don't listen and don't care. I find I very hard to read someone emotions and know what they are feeling and have been told that I am unsympathetic.

I can recall any and all jobs I have done down to the last screw, I can recall cable runs and talk people though jobs done if I had just done them that day, well than goes for most memory's not to date or time but location, task and people involved.

I also see patterns especially thing that don't fit in I have been finding four leaf clovers from a young age. They don't look right with all the other and stand rigth out I filled several photo albums with them but stopped after a had a collection of over a 1000, the most i found was 27 in less tha 10 miniutes and I also see the words in a word search without having to try.

I had to attend learning support though school deslexia was metioned but not confremed and I was predicted poor emax results. Yet t I did really well as I could recall every lesson during the exams without any revisions, which I received some appolages for from my teachers as the though I was lazy.

Didn't  revise much ether for  the same reson I don't read now and that is that the words move on the page or screen unless the brighness is low, then I can do it. 

Also I miss large amounts of sentences out when writing as if my mind is faster than my hand, also this happens when speaking I have to make a real effort to slow down and double think it I miss words out. The same as with writing and mixing letters up, thank God for spelling check.

I do find day to day life changing I get by and  I do drink more than I should it helps numb the world. but shouldn't be a substitute for support or just a bit of help.

I am married with  2 children the oldest is 4. He is shown the same characteristics as myself. He sorts his toys into line according to size and colour, dosnt take well to changes in routine and dosn't  cope that well when a organised plan changes.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, should I look for help for my boy now or see how he gets on at school as now more is getting known and  published about learning disabilities, I have managed and got on but don't want my boy to have to struggle like I have. 

Regards Mike

Parents
  • I would say yes it is probably worth starting the process and raising the concerns you have about your son. I do believe the earlier support can be put in place, the better for the individual. At 4 they may well want to see how he gets on at school but if they do, you will have at least have started the process for him. Good luck.

• I would say yes it is probably worth starting the process and raising the concerns you have about your son. I do believe the earlier support can be put in place, the better for the individual. At 4 they may well want to see how he gets on at school but if they do, you will have at least have started the process for him. Good luck.

Children
No Data